Do they perceive colors as we do?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by remnant, Aug 10, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

I usually wonder whether dogs perceive colours in the same way as we do. I have observed one of our dogs in our compound who had a morbid fear of anyone in black and would bark in hostility at him or her. Interestingly, he was pitch black.

remnant, Aug 10, 2016
  2. remnant

Pippin Member

Maybe because he didn't know what it was. I think that many dogs will bark at something when they don't know what it is. I'm black, and when I walk in the dark and see some dogs, they will run away. There have been other times when dogs have tried to attack me in the dark as well.

I read that they see in black and white, but that was a long time ago from some institution that was doing studies on animals. Who knows right? We can't see through their eyes, but I do truly believe they see in color, I mean why not...they are life, and have eyes, why would they only see in black and white.

Pippin, Aug 16, 2016
  3. remnant

claudine Well-Known Member

I think dogs can see colors.
    My Homer hates white cars and loves everything mint green. All his favorite blankets are mint green:) It can't be a coincidence.

claudine, Aug 16, 2016
  4. remnant

Rufino New Member

As long as I know, experts say that dogs can not really see any color, of course, I am nobody to say that since I there are no proofs about it but if that's what the scientifics say then that's what we should get based on, but I really believe they can see the world the same way we do.

Rufino, Aug 16, 2016
  5. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I think my dog sees things in colors! When I bought toys for him, I bought in different colors, so when I asked him where is the pink ball? He went and fetched the pink ball for me! If I ask him to get his purple monkey, he'll get the purple monkey!

So to me, my dog can see the different colors! I might be wrong and scientists can proof me wrong, but I want to believe my dog sees colors :)

IcyBC, Aug 16, 2016
Ask a Question