Do spayed dogs still go into heat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Nick87, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Nick87

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My youngest dog was spayed at the shelter where I had gotten her, but now she's getting to the age where she'd be going into heat. Would she actually still go through that and have attitude changes with it as well?

Nick87, Dec 2, 2011
  2. Nick87

aimend13 Active Member

No she shouldn't. That's actually sort of the whole point of getting her spayed. She won't have the inclination to want to run away, as most dogs do when they go into heat. You're also protecting her from things such as uterine cancer and having unintentional puppies. I wouldn't worry too much, it's a pretty good thing overall.

aimend13, Dec 7, 2011
  3. Nick87

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

She was spayed before she was even six months of age? If so, then she should not have any of the symptoms of estrus. However, Aimend, any female dog that is kept away from an intact male dog will not have unintentional puppies. It is the owner's personal responsibility that keeps a dog from having puppies--spaying is not necessarily part of the equation.

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 8, 2011
  4. Nick87

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Assuming that your dog was spayed correctly, I cannot see how it can get pregnant. Maybe take it to another vet for a second opinion.

Victor Leigh, Dec 8, 2011
  5. Nick87

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I would not think so, and I have never heard of them going into heat after being spayed.

wahcashmom, Dec 18, 2011
  6. Nick87

Neither have I. So maybe it would be good to find another vet to double-check on the first operation.

Victor Leigh, Dec 19, 2011
  7. Nick87

aimend13 Active Member

Well of course, but that becomes a lot easier when your dog is spayed. If you have a clever dog, it's not out of the question that they'll find a way to escape somehow, no matter how careful you are.

aimend13, Dec 19, 2011
  8. Nick87

Bitches come into heat only once every six months, so it isn't really that difficult to control them. Just put them into a cage when the time comes. They need only to be confined for a couple of weeks.

Victor Leigh, Dec 20, 2011
  9. Nick87

aimend13 Active Member

But if you aren't going to breed your dog, there is no reason not to spay them. In fact, especially in the case of females, it can work to keep a lot of health problems at bay. One of my first family dogs died of uterian and ovarian cancers, which could have easily been avoided if my family had known better and gotten her spayed. To be honest there was no reason why we shouldn't have. It's also not a detriment to the dog, but can help prevent some nasty diseases down the road.

aimend13, Dec 20, 2011
  10. Nick87

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

However, there are also other issues when dogs are spayed too early. Surgery always poses a risk of death, spayed females are prone to incontinence, and other cancers can also become prevalent--especially those that occur when the female hormones are lacking during the growth period. It astounds me that people object to the "mutilation" of tail docking or ear cropping, but have no problems with mutilating an animal by removing its reproductive organs even before the dog is mature. As Victor pointed out, it's not difficult to confine a female dog for a couple of weeks when she is in season--personal responsibility is a wonderful thing. :)

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 20, 2011
  11. Nick87

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Both my dogs came from the shelter, where they were already spayed/neutered when I had gotten them. The shelters pretty much do that by default, though I suppose the age that they get surgery isn't definite because it depends on when the dogs came into the shelter and a lot of times they don't really know the pasts of the dogs.

Nick87, Dec 20, 2011
  12. Nick87

I wish veterinarian science would put some money and effort into a sterilising process that does not involve surgery. I have witnessed some neutering and spaying operations and it's not a pretty sight. I, for one, would not knowingly submit my dog to such a thing. Caging for two weeks once every six months is a much better alternative. Anyway a cage should be standard equipment in any home with a dog.

Victor Leigh, Dec 21, 2011
  13. Nick87

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

I adoped a dog once that they said was spayed...and when she went into heat it was "surprise surprise" she hadn't been spayed. Did you know for sure or was it on paper? They should not go into heat if they had the surgery.

SallyintheValley, Jan 31, 2012
  14. Nick87

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

No, if they are spayed they will not go into heat. Their attitude doesn't actually change that much. What they were before you had them spayed is pretty much what they are after. All of my girls have been spayed and their attitudes did not change at all.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 31, 2012
  15. Nick87

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dogs here are usually female and we never spayed any of them. Aside from we do not want to risk their health (for the surgery) and see them not that active, it was also costly here. We just do not let them go out of our gate since we live in a compound so that they would not get pregnant.
    So we can actually control whether they will have puppies or not on a natural way. ;)

zararina, Feb 2, 2012
  16. Nick87

firelily99 Well-Known Member

They can't go into heat if they are spayed, its the equivalent of a hysterectomy. If they do go into heat then obviously they have not been spayed.

firelily99, Dec 13, 2013
  17. Nick87

Trellum Well-Known Member

No, once spayed a female dog can't get into heat. I haven't spayed mine, but I plan to do it anytime soon. I'd first like my two girls to experience motherhood at least once :) After that I will neuter both. I already asked a vet for the prices. It's the best choice!

Trellum, Dec 30, 2013
Ask a Question