Do dogs relieve stress?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 29, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

This is something I've thought about from time to time. There are times when my dog is on my lap asking for her neck to be scratched that I think her presence is very soothing. Then, there are times when she has chewed off the corner of a box or I've had to chase her around the yard to get something out of her mouth that I think she's working on my last nerve.

I suppose it all balances out. I do know that when I feel hassled or am in a grumpy mood her silly antics will make me laugh. For instance, I was trying to do something on the computer a few minutes ago. I heard a noise in the living room. All of a sudden, Misha burst down the hall and ran into my mom's room. All I could see in the living room was a slightly turned picture frame and a blue hedghog on the floor. I'm not sure, but I think she threw her hedgehog into the picture frame and it scared her. She fled down the hall to get away. We were laughing so hard. Laughter always makes the day a little brighter, even when it is at the dog's expense.

What do you think? Does owning a dog relieve your stress?

Melody, May 29, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Definitely yes. ;)
    Even by just simply looking at our dog, I can feel lighter or less stressed already. Much more if he would be playful and looks happy too. Just like when greeting someone who just come home.

zararina, May 29, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Zararina, there really is no one, except very young children, who greet you with such joy when you come home. After a long, difficult day, it's nice to find the dog so excited to see you come home. Everyone else in the family has their own problems.

There must be a minimum age for this stress reducing quality. Dogs under the age of three do not reduce stress. They add to it!

Melody, May 29, 2012
  4. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Dogs can certainly relieve stress. My dogs inside the house has helped my mom release her pent up tension. We used to fight every month but now, our house is argument free for more than three months.

Peanuts and Chooey have certainly done their share of unwarranted entertainment. Dog owners are lucky. We get to see comedy everyday... FOR FREE.

haopee, May 29, 2012
  5. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

Yes, I personally find the company of dogs really soothing. I love how happy they seem to be and the unconditional love they give. It's impossible not to look at a dog with it's tail wagging and not have a smile flash across your face.

I've also heard that dogs who visit rest homes really make in difference in the lives of the seniors who instantly become more relaxed.

tajnz, Jun 5, 2012
Ask a Question