Do dogs need dog friends?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 14, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I took care of my sister's dog yesterday. I was surprised at how excited Misha and Summit were to see each other. You'd think they were two little kids.

They don't really play together. Summit is much older (11 years old). But, they like to hang out together. They'll sit at the front door like two buddies. I don't have to worry about them because they usually get along just fine despite the size difference. Summit outweighs Misha by 60 lbs.

Misha does have problems with strange dogs, but for the most part she gets along fine with all the family dogs. Only Yogi, who is younger than her, gives her a bad time. That's because he is a pest.

I know it can be good for their development to be around other dogs. Despite Misha's feisty behavior at times, she is completely submissive to all the older dogs in the family. She's funny. She will throw herself on her side and lift her leg so they can smell her. Maybe she recognizes how much larger than are than her.

Do you think it's important for dogs to have dog friends?

Melody, May 14, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I definitely think it's important for dogs to have dog friends. My Mishka sounds a little like your Misha. She can be a little antisocial but does like some dogs she has contact with. Unfortunately we are so far from other people and we rarely take her on car trips to meet other dogs. I think this is why she is a bit clingy and follows us around all day at home. I guess we could give Mishka more contact with other dogs. :oops:

argon_0, May 15, 2012
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

I suppose if you're not the type who prefers a highly sociable dog, it's fine. Of course, if the pack can provide a proper structure for your dog, friends aren't as necessary. Still, dogs are pack oriented so at the least, it would be good to introduce them to other dogs in order for them to learn "dog etiquette and manners";).

One of my first dogs didn't have friends or "furblings". She grew up into an aggressive type. Unfortunately, my mom wanted her to be like this so that she'd bark and growl at strangers. This was her born purpose. Dogs here, used to be acquired solely for guarding houses. But that's changed now.

haopee, May 15, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think it's good. I don't think every dog necessarily -needs- it and can be fine without having other dogs around, especially if they get plenty of attention from humans and are happy with that. I think if they can have other animal companions, though, that it can be really good for them.

Jessi, May 15, 2012
  5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I do agree with argon that they can learn things from other dogs. Sierra was the oldest dog in the family at one time. I remember how she corrected the pups when they went over the line. She would teach them about boundaries.

There was funny situation at my house one day between Misha and Summit. Summit was at the door. Misha got into something and I was trying to catch her so I could wipe it off. She growled at me. At that moment, Summit walked over and poked Misha with her nose almost knocking her over, then walked away. That was it! I was able to wipe the spot. I wish I understood what had transpired because I would repeat it.

Melody, May 16, 2012
  6. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I think it will be helpful for dogs to have dog friends.
    It can help dogs become more sociable or friendly specially to other dogs when they are brought on a dog park.

zararina, May 16, 2012
Ask a Question