Do dogs like to be tickled?

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Melody, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

The dog in this video seems to enjoy it. I've often wondered if tickling is universal. Do you think dogs like being tickled? Do they laugh at it like we do?

Melody, Jun 20, 2012
  2. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

I think dogs are just like people. Some will enjoy being tickled and others will hate it. I personally hate being tickled and will lie and tell people I'm injured to stop them. My dogs were ticklish however and seemed to enjoy being tickled. They would roll on their backs and get all excited. :)
    Thanks for sharing the video too.

tajnz, Jun 21, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Tajnz, I've never been crazy about tickling either. I had a niece who loved it when she was little. She sounded kind of evil when she asked for more :D

I'm not sure if Misha has a tickle spot. I'm going to have to test her tomorrow. T

Melody, Jun 21, 2012
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I think majority of the dogs we have like to be tickled.
    Although if its for too long or somewhat intense, they can get irritated for it. I agree that some dogs may like it and some do not enjoy it.

zararina, Jun 21, 2012
  5. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

All my dogs love being tickled on their tummies. For them it's like some kind of treat. Sometimes they would come near me and roll over to ask to be tickled on their tummies. Some even fall asleep while being tickled.

Victor Leigh, Jun 21, 2012
  6. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Haha!

I guess I'm not sure about it being universal because I don't necessarily see that as being tickled either. I think most dogs do enjoy being pet and scratched in some way or another, though.

Jessi, Jun 21, 2012
  7. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

The part about being tickled could be a conditioned reflex.

However the act of rolling over is natural canine behavior. Dogs do that to show submission. So when they see their owners and roll over on their backs, they are just saying that they are submitting to their owners. To which most owners would respond by tickling their tummies. And the dogs understand that to mean that their owners love them. In the end, when the dogs want some love, they roll over to have their tummies tickled.

That, of course, is just an armchair canine psychologist at work.

Victor Leigh, Jun 22, 2012
  8. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I love the video! The dog is very cute and he clearly enjoys being tickled:D
    As for Homer, I don't think that he is very ticklish. Usually, when I pet him the way he likes the most, he just lies calmly with his eyes closed. If I do something wrong (like touching his paws or his back) he growls.

claudine, Jul 29, 2013
  9. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Claudine, Misha gets playful when I scratch her tummy and tries to attack my hands. I don't know if that is ticklish or not though.

Her spot is her neck. She loves having her neck scratched and massaged. She even does this motion with her head and holds her neck to the side to tell you that she wants a neck massage. LOL She really gets into it. She'll close her eyes and it's as if this is the best thing she has ever experienced.

She used to be very touchy about being petted like Homer is. Slowly over the last year she has gotten more tolerant. She is still touchy about her paws though.

Melody, Jul 29, 2013
  10. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer sometimes tries to attack my hands when I scratch his tummy too! I haven't thought that maybe he does that because he is ticklish:) It's so funny:D Does Misha let you touch her ears? Homer hates it.

claudine, Aug 2, 2013
Ask a Question