Do dogs laugh?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I came across an interesting article today. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/200911/do-dogs-laugh Laughter used to be considered a singularly human behavior. Then, people like Jane Goddall who spent tremendous amounts of time observing different animals, noticed the behavior in monkeys.

Konrad Lorenz, a nobel prize winning ethnologist, has suggested that dogs laugh, too. He pointed out a certain sound pattern they make when playing.

I know that dogs smile and show joy. Their tail wagging and goofy faces tell us they experience happiness. But, do they laugh? What do you think about this? Are dogs capable of laughing? Have you noticed laughing in your dog?

Melody, Sep 8, 2012
  2. Melody

kalasin Member

I've noticed a wheezy snuffling noise that might be laughter. Might also just be an affectionate, "wub" type of noise. It doesn't happen when tickled, you know, rub their ribs and the leg shakes and all that? So maybe not laughter.

kalasin, Sep 9, 2012
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any ability to laugh in Homer yet. I'd love to though. There is no doubt that he can smile. I always see a smile in his eyes when he is getting his food:p

claudine, Sep 9, 2012
  4. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

That's a good question, I have never seen a dog actually laugh. I have seen them wag their tail a great deal when their obviously happy. So maybe wagging their tail is a dogs way of showing their happiness, although like some I do think there have been times when I have seen my dog appear to smile.

pafjlh, Sep 11, 2012
  5. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Maybe they are laughing on their own way. ;)
    When dogs are too happy and show excitement, they might have been laughing already. I might need to be more observant to really figure it out. Lol

zararina, Sep 12, 2012
  6. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I've seen Mishka with that huge smile that says she is so happy. I guess it's not quite the laugh we make but I feel it's her doggy equivalent. She certainly make me laugh. I also will be a little more observant and see if I can hear the sounds of laughter.:D

argon_0, Sep 13, 2012
  7. Melody

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I would think so, probably doesn't sound like a laugh in the traditional human sense though. On the other end of the spectrum, I accidentally hit my dog one time when I was coming home and flung the door open. She let out a series of barking/yelling that I had never heard before. It was like the dog equivalent of cussing someone out.

OhioTom76, Sep 17, 2012
  8. Melody

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that they laugh, but my two certainly display behaviour that tells me they're really happy and content. Tail wagging is an obvious one, but when they're cuddling with me and they're really happy, they nuzzle and mouth a lot, and try and push into my neck for an extra close cuddle. My Bull Mastiff with press her nose against my toes, and very gently mouth and nibble them, when she's really happy. She wags her tail so hard that it clears tables of EVERYTHING, and it looks like her back end would fall off.

My Bulldog will bounce about like an idiot, and make these daft wookie noises, along with mouthing and snuffling. They're all indications that he's happy, and that's he's trying to initiate play. He will also come up and rest his chin on my leg, and then start to push me with one of his paws. That's a sure fire way that he's in a silly mood, and wants to play.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 18, 2012
  9. Melody

wahmed Active Member

Max makes this funny noise when hes happy. I always thought this was laughing.

wahmed, Mar 18, 2015
  10. Melody

Trellum Well-Known Member

I really think thy can laugh, they are so similar to us and I'm sure they do feel emotions like us. So why not laugh as well? Just because we can't tell the difference from all noises they make that doesn't mean they can't laugh. In my opinion they do, and they're much smarter than we think.

Trellum, Mar 23, 2015
  11. Melody

Winterybella Well-Known Member

It would come as no surprise to me that dogs laugh. I know they cry and are sad at times so laughter should not be left out. The problem is that it might not be easily recognised as in the case of humans, myself especially. When I laugh you can hear me for "miles" if you know what I mean. :)

Seriously though, I know they must laugh. They are too wonderful to be denied that privilege.

Winterybella, Mar 23, 2015
  12. Melody

I liked the last bit of your message the best: They are too wonderful to be denied that privilege. Because it is so true and makes perfect sense!!! They do deserve that privilege, they are wonderful beings and make great loyal companions. I've always thought we are blessed t o have them.

Trellum, Mar 24, 2015
  13. Melody

I always say in recent years that God (not sure if you believe in the whole concept) has put them in my life. It's as serious as that to me. Sometimes there are the only beings (except you :) and and some others here and around me) that make me laugh or at the very least smile warmly.

They must be able to laugh back. Check this You Tube video.

Winterybella, Mar 24, 2015
  14. Melody

Awww, you make me laugh too :) By the way, I couldn't see any YouTube video :( I really think they can laugh, and even smile :O I think I have seen a dog kinda smile once, but I don't think it is so easy to see. Well, not the kind of smiles we see in humans, at least, but they got some really nice smiles:

[​IMG]

Trellum, Mar 25, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  15. Melody

Who's that in the picture Trellum? I swore I sent the video. Are they allowed? I went and read the rules again and I did not see anything to suggest there are not allowed so I will send it again. It was quite interesting to tell you the truth. I would not call it a laugh. This little fella seem to be laughing out loudly in this picture. He reminds me of me truth be told.

Winterybella, Mar 25, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  16. Melody

Haha, I love both those dogs, they're super adorable and very funny!:D
    Look at this laughing chihuahua:

[​IMG]

Awww, he looks so happy!:D

claudine, Mar 25, 2015
    Diana Smith likes this.
  17. Melody

That is a winning smile, Claudine! LOL, if that is not a dog smiling, then I don't know what it is! I have seen quite a few smiley dogs, this one if the best example of a smiling one, he is probably laughing as well =D I have never seen my girl do that by the way, she is a very serious gal, lol.

Trellum, Mar 26, 2015
  18. Melody

Ow that dog? i have no idea, I just picked the picture randomly :p I liked the way he is clearly smiling, specially the first picture, not sure he is laughing in the second picture tho (hard to know with no audio), but he is indeed smiling in the first one. It reminded me of my grandma's poodle.

Don't worry, isn't forbidden as far as I know! I could finally watch the video, he seems to be laughing a bit? I think my dog has done that before. Sounds funny!!

Trellum, Mar 26, 2015
  19. Melody

Haha:) My Homer is quite serious too! He shows his teeth only when he wants to bite someone, lol. But, like I mentioned before, I otfen see a smile in his eyes. He seems like a really happy little dog:)

claudine, Mar 26, 2015
  20. Melody

I have to agree. That little one has me smiling and laughing all at the same time. It's contagious. It reminds me of the one in your second picture. They look like genuine smiles. The day my sad face Remy smiles it's going to be like wining the lottery. I think my Zola smiles a lot and the new kid on the block she seems super happy and indifferent.

Winterybella, Mar 26, 2015
Ask a Question