Do dogs have bad dreams?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, May 9, 2013.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Is it possible for a dog to have a bad dream? Yesterday, Homer woke me up in the middle of the night, he was scratching at my door until I got up and let him in and then he wanted me to pet him.
    After a while, I carried him to his couch and he fell asleep pretty quickly.
    So I started to think - did he have a bad dream?

claudine, May 9, 2013
  2. claudine

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I do think dogs can have uncomfortable dreams.
    Mishka often makes sounds and twitches a lot while asleep. We tend to wake her up and she settles down.
    Homer sounds if he did have a bad dream. :(

argon_0, May 13, 2013
  3. claudine

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog sure seems to. Sometimes he'll be asleep and he will start twitching his legs and his body. Then he makes some sad noisy, some whines, and such. I always try to wake him up when he does that because he seems to be in distress.

MakingCents, May 13, 2013
  4. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

I also think that dogs do have bad dreams sometimes.
    There are times that our dogs would make a noise while sleeping and seem that they are running or scared from something.

zararina, May 13, 2013
  5. claudine

amundy8 Active Member

Dogs seem to have bad dreams too. I have seem them try to run in their sleep as if trying t run away from something or run to catch something. It seems odd at first, but understandable ifvthey think they are wide awake when they are actually sleep. They also make whining noises as if upset about something.

amundy8, May 14, 2013
  6. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses. It seems like he had a bad dream, my poor thing. I'm glad I woke up too and petted him for a while, I hope he forgot about his nightmares quickly.
    I noticed that he sometimes moves his paws when he is asleep - he probably dreams about walking:)

claudine, May 14, 2013
  7. claudine

trishgl Well-Known Member

I think so. There have been times when my chow would awaken distressed or whimpering. I often calm her down with a massage after that and also to convey that everything is fine. She usually falls asleep immediately thank goodness.

trishgl, May 16, 2013
Ask a Question