Do dogs get the flu?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I felt so bad for Misha Thursday. She woke up and was feeling fine. Then, around 11 am, she started in with diarrhea and about an hour later she threw up. She didn't throw up again, but had a terrible time going to the bathroom for about 12 hours. Poor thing was miserable.

She got a little appetite back Thursday evening. Friday she was fine. Except for sleeping a little more than normal, you would not have known she was sick.

It made me wonder. Do dogs get flu viruses like we do? It did seem like she had the stomach flu or something like that. She didn't eat anything unusual that I know of and wasn't exposed to any chemicals, cleaners, etc.

I'm sure glad she is feeling better! That was a very long day for both of us.

Melody, Jun 8, 2013
  2. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I dont know. Iknow they can get colds or something, that's basically what kennel cough is. But I'm not sure it's possible for dogs to get the stomach flu or anything like that.

MakingCents, Jun 9, 2013
  3. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I was only wondering about dogs getting colds and flu just today. My wife is terribly ill with a sore throat and a nasty cough for some days. I wondered about what it would be like if Mishka suddenly had a runny nose and cough. Worth looking into.
    I do hope Misha is on the mend. Nothing worse than a young child or pet not being able to tell you how they feel.:(

argon_0, Jun 10, 2013
  4. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Poor Misha, I feel very sorry for her, it must have been awful. It's really great that she feels better now.
    I'm not sure if dogs do get the flu...but they definitely catch a cold sometimes, so who knows.

claudine, Jun 11, 2013
  5. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Not sure either if dogs get flue but I observed before that our dog got colds.
    Glad that Misha is getting better.

zararina, Jun 13, 2013
  6. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! She is fine now. In fact, besides being tired the next day, you would not have known that she had been ill. Her appetite and digestion were perfect the next day.

My sister says her dog had something similar 3 days earlier. They had been together over the weekend so it makes me wonder if they got the same thing.

Kennel Cough is a good example of something they spread between themselves. My previous dog got it despite being up on her vaccination. It took me 3 days to realize she had something wrong. It's uncomfortable for them, but luckily, easy to treat.

Melody, Jun 22, 2013
  7. Melody

worldmachine Member

Canine influenza is relatively common, dogs have no natural immunity to the virus so it can easily be transmitted between dogs through sneezing or panting. It can even be transmitted by people moving between infected and uninfected dogs.

Just like humans the virus is treated by anti biotics. The H3N8 vaccination can protect against some forms of canine influenza.

worldmachine, Mar 16, 2015
  8. Melody

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have seen it happen. My frida has come down with the flu a couple if times, but I must admit is not so common for her. I've had human influenza waaaay more times than she has had dog influenza in her life.

Trellum, Jul 19, 2015
  9. Melody

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone is our very first dog, so reading this thread will keep me informed. So far for the past year, only threw up whenever he eats something bad outside, other than that, he hasn't feeling sick.

IcyBC, Jul 22, 2015
  10. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you feel. Homer is my very first dog too. When he was young, everything was completely new to me and I was grateful for any source of information I could find. This is why I love reading threads like this. They're so helpful and informative!

claudine, Jul 22, 2015
Ask a Question