Disobedient dog...what to do?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by DappleGrey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. DappleGrey

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

Okay, so my dawgie Paloma has a big issue with listening. She's 2 years old, and when we tell her to do something, she just looks at us and defiantly does it again, whereas my other dog stops doing whatever it is immediately.

Example: Paloma likes to jump up on the bed a lot and she won't get down unless we push her off. No matter how many times we push her off, she will hop back up and smile at us (don't ask how, some dogs just know how to smile)

Even if we tell her to "Go!" she won't leave. My other dog will dash out in a flash. Treats don't work with Paloma either, there's just no doing anything. She does what she wants. :(

DappleGrey, Apr 2, 2013
  2. DappleGrey

zararina Well-Known Member

We used to have a dog like that and what we just can do is put pence or boundaries on places she was not allowed to go. :p
    A professional dog trainer might help you.

zararina, Apr 3, 2013
  3. DappleGrey

haopee Well-Known Member

Sounds like Paloma has gotten away with a lot of things reason why she no longer follows your commands strictly. What to do?

1. Reinforce rules. If she's not allowed on the couch, make sure nobody else allows her to go up the couch.

2. Be patient and consistent. Don't give up on getting her down from that bed. She'll eventually understand that it's no place for her. And remember that getting angry and frustrated won't fix the issue.

3. Basic obedient training. Take the time to teach Paloma the basic Sit, Stay, Down and Leave. This ensures that she actually understands what you're asking of her. Also, don't forget to reward her for being good and doing what's right.

4. Reward abundantly. If Paloma did the right thing, immediately reward her (either with "Good Dog" + Treat or "Good Dog" + play time).

I hope this helps.

haopee, Apr 3, 2013
  4. DappleGrey

trishgl Well-Known Member

You have to be consistent and one of the best advice a trainer gave me is to stop the dog before she performs the behavior. It takes time but you know when your dog is getting ready to jump on that bed and you have to redirect her focus when you see her preparing to do that. Once she has jumped on the bed she would have already been rewarded with feelings of her completing the act and pushing her off is just another unrelated incident. So catch her before she jumps on the bed.

trishgl, Apr 5, 2013
  5. DappleGrey

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your advice. I've noticed that recently, she stops biting me when I tell her to stop. I really appreciate all the help!

DappleGrey, Apr 8, 2013
  6. DappleGrey

claudine Well-Known Member

I want to thank you for your advices too. My Homer is just like Paloma. It would be so funny if they could meet, lol:p . The only difference is that Homer doesn't stop biting me when I told him to. But I must say that he has never bitten me with all his strength, he is always cautious not to hurt me - he probably just wants to scare me.

claudine, Apr 10, 2013
  7. DappleGrey

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

yes I completely agree. You can actually make your dog listen to you by using positive reinforcement methods (used in psychology). Get the favorite cookie or the food stuff that your dog like and every time he does something good reward him with his favorite food. For exmaple: to make him shake hands, show him and then reward him when he does it correctly (repeat process.) You can also train him like this.

schizophreniatype, Apr 16, 2013
  8. DappleGrey

haopee Well-Known Member

I think Homer is playbiting you. It's different. Unfortunately, it's often done by dogs who wasn't taught bite inhibition by his littermates. No worries. You could always teach Homer to stop doing this action if you wish.

When he does that, just dramatically say ouch, turn your back at him and walk away. Come back after 5 minutes and play again. This emulates a sibling or playmate who's teaching him that the bite is too hard. Eventually, you could replace it with no and Homer might stop doing it for good.

haopee, Apr 23, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  9. DappleGrey

claudine Well-Known Member

Thank you! Actually, I find this playbiting quite funny most of the time. Homer is so cute:D . But I guess I should try to teach him to stop doing this action because I'm afraid that one day, when he will get really annoyed, he may bite somebody too strongly.

claudine, Apr 24, 2013
Ask a Question