Did you train your dog yourself or did you get outside help?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Winterybella, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

All the training my dogs received came from me, so just as I take credit for the fine training, I have to take the "beating" where they fall short.

It was much easier to train the puppy. The mom I inherited and she came with lots of issues so she is much harder to train. My Rottie breeder is quite good with dogs, so by the time my Rottie came home she knew a lot of the basics. I am trying to train all the girls but it takes a lot of time and effort. I don't think I can afford a professional trainer at this time so I will continue to do what I can.

Did you train your dog or did you get professional help?

Winterybella, Nov 10, 2014
  2. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

I try to train my dog by myself, but the truth is that I'm terrible at it. Homer does what he wants, he doesn't listen to anyone. Yesterday, he bit me because I had touched his favorite pillow:eek: I wish he wasn't so naughty, but I couldn't punish him. He is so cute!:)

claudine, Nov 11, 2014
  3. Winterybella

You are going to be thrilled when you get your dog to obey commands. It's a delight. I taught Zola the baby to "sit" and "come" as a puppy. Her mother is still inconsistent. The Rottie came home understanding basic commands and it seem she is much easier to train if I can find the time.

I don't remember if it was Cesar Millan but it was one of those YouTube videos that helped me. I want to teach them more commands like not pulling on the leash. Any new accomplishment is a big deal with me.

Winterybella, Nov 11, 2014
  4. Winterybella

I'm afraid this will never happen:( Homer hates being trained. He gets bored very easily and walks away as soon as I run out of treats. But I'll look for Cesar Millan videos, maybe they will help me too:)

claudine, Nov 20, 2014
  5. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I'm doing it myself. Unfortunately, punishing them is not my strong suit. I am great with the positive reinforcements. I had to praise them when they were learning to go outside like they just won the presidential election. As far as the chewing, positive reinforcement doesn't work. If I tried to praise them for not chewing on my shoe they'll probably get really confused.

LilAnn, Jun 7, 2015
  6. Winterybella

I wouldn't be able to punish Homer either. He's so cute and tiny! Usually, he does whatever he wants.
    Maybe try to encourage them to chew on something else, LilAnn? My Homer loves chewing pine cones. When he has a lot of them at home, he ignores other things.

claudine, Jun 14, 2015
  7. Winterybella

Well this little hot rod Ginger needs training like I will never know. Yesterday, I am feeling a little under the weather and was literally under the sheets when my son comes home and asks me why my phone is on the ground. Don't ask me how she got it but I get up and see him taking it from Ginger. My most expensive phone. I didn't even bother with her. She is a handful and some. I need Ceasar in the flesh if I am to make much headway with her.

Winterybella, Jun 15, 2015
  8. Winterybella

Oh no, did she destroy it?:( I'm sure she didn't want to make you angry, she just wanted to play. It's a pity she didn't choose a toy instead of your things.
    Homer can be very naughty too, but I got used to it;)

claudine, Jun 16, 2015
  9. Winterybella

She just damaged the case slightly. Enough to make me want to change it. I have not seen it this morning yet but she made a different kind of mess this morning. She's making me think I am not feeding her enough that she's eating everything. I don't know she even understands she has done something wrong. Zola and Remy are the opposite. They do something wrong and you can see the guilt and shame all over their faces. Not Ginger. You are right Claudine. It's all about the play.

Winterybella, Jun 16, 2015
  10. Winterybella

thegrey1 Member

We've tried both. Our dogs are rescues, so they had some issues when we got them. One of them has really terrible separation anxiety issues, if my son leaves for even a few minutes. I guess the poor little guy just can't get over the sense of abandonment. He will whine and bark constantly until he wears himself out! We tried professional training, but they couldn't train that out of him, although it helped him a lot in other areas

thegrey1, Jun 16, 2015
  11. Winterybella

She's so very young, it's natural that she wants to play and doesn't really understand the rules. All young dogs are like that:) I think her behavior will change with time.
    I'm happy to hear she didn't destroy your phone:)

claudine, Jun 17, 2015
  12. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

I trained my frida :) I taught her to go potty outside since day one. It took her a while to learn the rest of the house wasn't a good place for doing her business though, but she respected my room since day one. It's amazing, it's true what they say about a dog instincts kicking in...she didn't like the idea of doing her business in the room where she slept :) She is such a smart girl.

Trellum, Jul 25, 2015
  13. Winterybella

Trellum, Trellum, Trellum!!! Ginger is two handfuls. Whenever I think she is covered she drops something on me again and it's always poop or pee sometimes. Everyone knows the program including he and the other day I let her outside to do her business and to have a stretch leg and then I hear my husband calling me. From the time he calls like that I know it's something with the dogs because he'll never clean up after them. He believes they should be outdoors. Sure enough she came in and in less than three minutes did her business. I am not lying I was mad. I had let her out a long time. What am I going to do with her?........

I have taught her to sit. At least she does that while trembling with excitement for food.

Winterybella, Jul 25, 2015
  14. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

We train our dog ourselves since we can't afford to pay professional to do it. Because he is a big dog (51 lbs) and half Pit-bull, we had to teach him all the commands since he came home with us at 7 weeks old. He is quite easy to train and learn quick but to carry out the commands depends on his mood. Sometimes, we had to say it three times before he will sit.

IcyBC, Jul 26, 2015
  15. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Awww :( I felt that way about me learning dutch; when I think i am getting the hang of it I am presented with something completely new and difficult, lol. I'm so sorry your girl is not getting it yet :( How old is she now? I have heard some people need to deal with this kind of things for months sometimes.

Trellum, Jul 26, 2015
  16. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Little Ann learned quicker than any other dog I've had. . I started as soon as she could walk, and took her outside every time she woke up. I threw her a little party for just her and me every time she went potty outside. She learned the command "go potty" right off the bat. I could tell her that and she would do her business instead of exploring or eating mulch.

My husband thought she went digging in the back yard. He reprimanded Bindy for digging, and got ready to reprimand little Ann, and says," wait you aren't digging. you're eating the mud".:

LilAnn, Jul 26, 2015
  17. Winterybella

We Annes (my nickname of sorts from Annette my second name) are good like that:). I keep forgetting to tell my son there is a dog out there with my name. The mother and daughter usually obey except that Zola is very special at times and does not like to go out if it's damp or if the grass is too high. In some ways I think she is smart as the high grass I read is a breeding ground for ticks which will bring me to a sad story for another thread. Ticks are back and I am stressing. I hate to see ticks on my girls. It kills me and my old method is not working. I have to find something today to deal with all of them.:(

Winterybella, Jul 27, 2015
  18. Winterybella

danielle davidson Active Member

My dad was the one who trained Remy. I think that he did a pretty good job since he doesn't pee in the house anymore. The one thing thhat I did wish we had done while he was young was teach him tricks. Now that he's almost 6 there would be no point in it. We just didn't think about when he was young.

danielle davidson, Jul 27, 2015
  19. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I had a special dog like that. Bowser, the old man that just passed, wouldn't step off the porch if it were raining or snowing. He would position himself to pee off of the porch. That dog wasn't afraid of anything else. But getting his paws wet was NOT going to happen lmao

LilAnn, Jul 27, 2015
  20. Winterybella

Same here, we didn't teach Homer any tricks either. He can sit on command, but he does it only if you have a delicious treat in your hand. He doesn't do anything for free;)

claudine, Jul 28, 2015
Ask a Question