Did you hear or see that dog that bit the News lady on TV?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SallyintheValley, Feb 9, 2012.

1. SallyintheValley

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

Not sure where it was, but a dog who was rescued after falling through the ice was on a talk show with the fireman who rescued him and his owner,,,,and when the news lady got too close to his muzzle the dog bit her in the face.

Now he is being watched for rabies of course, but how terrible for all concerned.

SallyintheValley, Feb 9, 2012
  2. SallyintheValley

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I saw it. I feel terrible for his owner. He's being charged with a leash law violation- um, I'm pretty sure the news people set up how the dog would be contained on the set. He's also being charged with failure to keep is dog from biting. UM, how was he supposed to keep the dog from biting her. Dog behavior experts have said the dog was clearly giving off signals that he was uncomfortable which the reporter ignored. I feel bad she got bit, but this is not the dogs fault.

MakingCents, Feb 10, 2012
    SheWolfSilver likes this.
  3. SallyintheValley

See, the answer above is a typical dog lovers answer....I had the same thing happen to me years ago when my dog bit a neighbor girl in the face....SHE hugged him in a close environment, he was uncomfortable, not the dogs fault all my friends said....BUT my gosh, a HUMAN being was bitten dangerously in the face on both accounts then and here....surely that dog owner knew his dog was capable of that and should have been muzzled or not allowed on the show. I love animals but they are secondary to human life....all large dogs have the ability to kill and this should never be taken lightly.

SallyintheValley, Feb 10, 2012
  4. SallyintheValley

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I am afraid I will have to disagree with you here. Animals have rights, too. When you threaten an animal and it attacks you, you have only got yourself to blame for what happened. Only an oxymoron would assume that a dog is just a stuffed toy.

Victor Leigh, Feb 10, 2012
  5. SallyintheValley

zararina Well-Known Member

I had read about that news online
    I think it could be the fault both of the owner and the reporter. The reporter should be sensitive or not that comfortable with the dog that does not knows her. And the owner knowing his dog could bit someone should give warning to that reporter or become aware that it could happen.

zararina, Feb 10, 2012
  6. SallyintheValley

Excuse me did you mean "Moron" not Oxymoron which is a figure of speech for a paradox? And I doubt whether the news lady was a moron and thought that.

7. SallyintheValley

All large dogs (and small dogs) should be respected. But there is no possible way to prevent your dog from biting someone if he feels threatened, if the dog has no history of biting how would the owner know to be leary of that situation. And the dog wasn't on a leash? well no he was in the television studio, a shot set up by the reporter. I feel bad that the reporter got hurt, but the dog doesn't have the ability to say 'hey back off woman that scares me.' If he growled, showed his teeth, stiffened his tail, raised his hair etc. That's his way of saying stop, don't come closer leave me alone. If she didn't 'listen' and he felt threatened what was the dog supposed to do?

And I had this happen to me. When I was 11 my dog bit me right on the lip and needed to get stiches. Not the dogs fault, I was sittin gon the floor and the dog was sleeping above me on the couch. The phone rand and I turned to answer it. My hair hit the dog in her face waking her from her slumber. She was startled awake and instinctively snapped. Not for one second did I blame the dog.

8. SallyintheValley

Well, as usual I am in the minority here when it comes to animals....I think of myself as an intelligent pet owner, and I adore my pets, but I value human life above animal life, and I think some pet owners are a bit careless. I felt so badly that my dog had bitten our neighbor child and couldn't do enough for them....our insurance even paid for plastic surgery to her scar 10 yrs later.

9. SallyintheValley

I value human life, I do. But the animals are the defenseless and the voiceless. A dog reacts on animal instinct, a human, especially an adult human needs to know how to control the situation. It's fine to feel bad that your dog hurt the child and it's great that you helped with the plastic surgery but that doesn't mean your dog was bad. It was an accident, accidents happen.

10. SallyintheValley

I just saw an article about safe dogs and dogs that get a bad rap like Pitbulls. My daughters 3 dogs are all Pitbull mixes of some kind and only one of them has ever shown real aggression and it was aimed at another dog, not a person.
    That dog on this TV show was not an agressive breed I don't think.

SallyintheValley, Feb 12, 2012
  11. SallyintheValley

King Browny Well-Known Member

Personally, I won’t get too close to a dog that doesn’t know me or I’ve just met. We all know that dogs are only loyal to their master and are not fond of strangers. Though the reporter was harmed, that’s because she acted all celebrity forgetting that it’s a dog that’s just been saved from catching hypothermia in that ice and who have no idea and doesn’t care who she is. As for the owner, sorry to say this but it seemed the spotlight got into him not to take caution on his dog.

King Browny, Feb 15, 2012
  12. SallyintheValley

amy005 Well-Known Member

This kind of thing makes me mad. Of course neither the owner or the dog are at fault! People should not just go and pet a dog they do not know. You do not know how the dog is going to react. They bite to protect themselves from threat. Clearly the dog must have been stressed out in that type of situation as well and probably not trusting a random person.

amy005, Feb 16, 2012
  13. SallyintheValley

Exactly Amy! Unless of course the dog had a history of biting or aggression there was no reason for the owner to be wary of his dog biting someone. you would think the reporter who does animal stories every week would be able to read obvious 'i'm uncomfortable' signals from a dog.

MakingCents, Feb 17, 2012
  14. SallyintheValley

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think we are all agreed that the dog is innocent. So I would propose that the news lady involved be fined for causing undue stress to the dog. How about a dozen cans of Royal Canine a week for the next 52 weeks? Any seconders?

Victor Leigh, Feb 18, 2012
  15. SallyintheValley

I just think the charges against the owner should be dropped.

MakingCents, Feb 18, 2012
  16. SallyintheValley

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I agree! Under these circumstances any dog would be stressed and might be prone to protect itself! Even my little weenies would probably be aggressive in a situation such as this and they have never shown any aggression.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 18, 2012
Ask a Question