Diabetes

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by argon_0, Feb 28, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Diabetes is not something you would want your dog to develop. It's important not to overfeed and select low fat products. I have learnt from experience when my previous dog Tacca developed the disease at the age of eight. She needed two injections of insulin a day.Not a very cheap medication but for your friend and companion you do what you can. After about six months she went blind but seemed to cope with the problem well. Having a daughter who adored her also helped. Tacca remained like this until she had a stroke at the age of ten. This was the start of her decline and was not so easy to deal with.We tried our best but eventually had to give in and have her euthanased. So take care of your dogs weight with measured amounts of food and don't do what I've seen a lot of owners do, that is, leave out a bowl permanently for them.

argon_0, Feb 28, 2012
  2. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

Sad to know that and thanks for sharing.
    Yes we should be cautious on what foods we are giving our pets as it will their source of nutrient and can make or break their health.

zararina, Mar 1, 2012
  3. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's really sad. It's like killing your dog with too much love. Strangely a lot of women do that, too, to their husbands without realizing it. I mean those wonderful women cook all kinds of wonderful food for their husbands which their husbands eat in great quantities.

Victor Leigh, Mar 3, 2012
  4. argon_0

summerRain Well-Known Member

(Big hugs...) Was so sad after reading your post. People in the house were enticed to feed my dogs with rice and I always tell them not to do so. It is cute to see a fat dog but their health should not be compromised.

summerRain, Mar 5, 2012
  5. argon_0

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

The last time I went to the dachshund races there were some poor weenie dogs there that were so obese their bellies dragged the ground it was painful to see.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 5, 2012
  6. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Actually people do that not only to their dogs. They do it to their own children, too. This is especially common among the Chinese. If the mother doesn't stuff her kids unlike they look like little piggies, the mother-in-law would have something to say about "not knowing how to take care of my grandchildren".

Victor Leigh, Mar 5, 2012
  7. argon_0

summerRain Well-Known Member

I can relate about this one. My grandma was so obsessed to see her grandchildren as fat like bear cubs. She used to visit the house often with some sweet treats for us but my mom would confiscate them so that we're not going to consume the whole bag in one sitting. I guess that's one of the many reasons why my mom and grandma was not in good terms before.

summerRain, Mar 6, 2012
  8. argon_0

Mimij Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to loose a pet. I have 2 minpins. The oldest is about 12 and we took her in shortly after her owner went into hospice, about 6 yrs. ago. She has always been fat but full of energy. Last week I took her to the vet because I was afraid she had diabetes.. I was right. :-( Past few days have been very difficult. At this point we are regulating her insulin and I'm reading as much info as I can, She does not like the diet food. This is a learning experience for my family. I just want to get her in a comfortable and stable condition. Vet says once we get this under control she should begin to feel better and return to her regular behavior.

Mimij, Mar 22, 2012
Ask a Question