Dew Claws

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by haopee, Jan 24, 2013.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Recently, I read a book suggesting the removal of dew claws at an early age. I didn't know about this and was wondering if you guys had your dog's dew claw removed?

I usually trim them along with the dog's other nails. I was surprised to see my sister's dog's dew claws as they were curling inward. I can't believe that some people aren't aware of dew claws.

Anyway, back to the question... did you have your dog's dew claws removed or do you simply trim them along with the scheduled clipping session.

haopee, Jan 24, 2013
  2. haopee

shdws Well-Known Member

You know, my dog doesn't have dewclaws. I guess I just got lucky :D. I do know people who trim their puppies dewclaws. I haven't met anyone who has had them removed yet. I would prefer to have them removed though.

shdws, Jan 24, 2013
  3. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

I didn't know what they were called. I would've just referred to it as his "thumb claw" if I had to, haha. I know they don't have thumbs, but it's like that "extra" one that's a bit out...sorta like how our thumb is.

And we just trim it. I also didn't know that people removed that entirely! o_O

Jessi, Jan 24, 2013
    haopee likes this.
  4. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

To be honest, I had no idea you can have your dog's dew claws removed...I don't know, it sounds painful:( . Like Jessi, I trim them. I don't understand why anyone would decide to remove them.

claudine, Jan 25, 2013
  5. haopee

shdws Well-Known Member

I guess people remove them to avoid complications. I've seen where a dog's dewclaw grew so long that in buried into his skin and caused severe infection. Obviously the owner wasn't very responsible. Wonder how dog's in the wild keep these things from becoming an issue? Since there is no one there to trim the claws.

shdws, Jan 25, 2013
  6. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Guilty by association! I know what you mean about not knowing. I thought they were just nails.

Same here! But one of my dogs won't have her nails trimmed which was my fault because I cut her quick and panicked... Yes, I was stupid back then. And now, I just have this funny feeling in my tummy when I hold the clippers and I see her.

Other dogs have been lucky to have avoided my stupidity as an owner.

haopee, Jan 30, 2013
  7. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

My brother has pedigrees (Doberman and Mini Pinschers). The breeder removed the dew claws before they adopted them. Misha has her dew claws. Sometimes I wish she had them removed. If they get too long, she gets them caught in the ring on her collar. It is not easy getting it out because she panics.

Melody, Feb 11, 2013
  8. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

I did not know that was possible. Was it surgically removed or was it just pulled out. This is the first time I've heard of breeder pulling out the dew claws. Were there ears cropped by the breeder too? Just curious.

haopee, Feb 13, 2013
  9. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

Haopee, I wasn't sure if it was a regular practice with Doberman breeders or just the one my brother used. I did a little research on the topic.

I found this article from the Doberman Pinscher Club of America:
    http://dpca.org/PublicEd/the-doberman/growth-and-development

In the first paragraph it states that the tail is docked and the dewclaws removed in the first 3 to 5 days after birth. It is done by a Veterinarian, though I found disturbing posts of people complaining that the breeder did this in their home. It says that the claw is snipped off, then the skin stitched or glued over the wound.

What I didn't know is that some dogs get dewclaws on their hind legs, too. I've never seen this before. Has anyone else?

Melody, Feb 13, 2013
  10. haopee

borderlab Member

None of mine have had their dew claws removed. I can't really see the point, none of them have ever had any problems with them. Their dew claws are the only ones that ever need trimming though, the others always seem to stay short naturally. Maybe it's more important for working dogs to have them removed?

borderlab, Mar 13, 2013
  11. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I am also not aware about dew claws. :p
    Good thing our dog does not have such claw and so, no need for trimming.

zararina, Apr 7, 2013
Ask a Question