Detailed Collars or Plain?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dashboardc33, Nov 7, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

Do you tend to spend a lot of money on dog collars? Most of the time my dog is wearing one of those metal chocker collars. I normally do not put a cloth collar on her unless we are going on vacation up north and she needs her tags on. If I do put a collar on her it is usually plain. I see people spending a lot of money on some collars that have a lot of bling on them. What do you spend on your dog's collar?

dashboardc33, Nov 7, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

pigeon_small Active Member

My dog wears a cloth collar all the time with his tags on it. I've seen some pretty shiny and cool collars but to me those don't seem to fit on large dogs. Maybe the small fru-fru lap dogs that people love to dress up. For larger dogs I just think they look better with plain collars.

pigeon_small, Nov 7, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

My dogs also wear plain cloth collar. The sturdy ones because they can chew through leader. I'm not a choker fan because sometimes, it gets stuck in grits and narrow holes that they end up panicking when this happens.

As for designs on the collar, I all for plain ones. It makes it a lot lighter and easy to clean.

haopee, Nov 7, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My main requirement from a collar is that it is sturdy. With Candy, this has always been a problem. After trying all kinds of collars, I finally settled on one which is actually a stainless steel chain choke collar. You know, the kind that tightens like a noose when the dog pulls on it. Anyway I only use it when I take Candy out. And after the first time she pulled on it, she never pulled on it again.

Victor Leigh, Nov 7, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Mine are plain. I see them as a tool with purpose..... they are to hold leashes and name tags. And they need to fit snugly so they don't slip off. I don't really care what they look like.

Jessi, Nov 7, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

pafjlh Well-Known Member

My dogs have plain cloth collars. Its actually a very practical thing in their case. Because Buddy and Oso have a tendency to rough house each other. They have been known to bite each others collars, so we wouldn't want to invest in anything to fancy, because there's a good chance it will be chewed on.

pafjlh, Nov 7, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer doesn't wear dog collar because he has a very delicate throat and it would choke him. He wears suspenders instead. I buy them in darker colours because he is a boy:p . But I don't buy very 'special' or pretty ones though.

claudine, Nov 7, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs wear whatever collar is cheap but still can hold up to the wear and fit them. It doesn't really matter what design is on the collar since they don't really see it, it's just for safety to keep their tags on just in case they get away (and to be able to hold them back if someone's at the door,and walking them).

Nick87, Nov 7, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

Suspenders? Do you mean those leashes that went around the chest instead of around the neck? I mean something like this:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Nov 8, 2012
  10. dashboardc33

pigeon_small Active Member

Suspenders? I think that is a harness. They're good if your dog likes to pull, at least he won't choke himself. Although I guess you should teach your dog not to pull any way if it does, heh.

pigeon_small, Nov 8, 2012
  11. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Maybe she meant suspenders like this:

[​IMG]

He's actually kinda cute.

Jessi, Nov 8, 2012
  12. dashboardc33

Melody Well-Known Member

LOL Jessi. Is that a real dog?

Misha wears a cat collar because those are the only ones I can find that are thin enough. She has the same collar she had as a puppy and it's looking kind of shabby. It's one of those multi-colored paw print ones in purple.

No, I don't spend a lot on collars. I don't see the point. Plus, it is incredibly difficult to find a small collar that fits a small dog. I bought her one online that was recommended for her size. When I got it, it was too wide. It looked like she was wearing a belt around her neck!

Melody, Nov 8, 2012
  13. dashboardc33

Yes, I meant something exactly like this:D . Sorry, I don't know the proper term for it. Anyway, my veterinarian advised me to buy something like this for Homer. Homer likes to pull:p

claudine, Nov 9, 2012
  14. dashboardc33

I see. So suspenders are chest leashes. Well, I have used those before on Candy. Made no difference. She still pulls. Actually pulls harder with the chest leashes. Then I changed to a stainless steel choke chain collar. She pulled once. And that's the last time she pulled. Sounds like a drastic measure but she learned very fast that there's no use pulling on a choke collar.

Victor Leigh, Nov 9, 2012
  15. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Nov 9, 2012
  16. dashboardc33

Okay, new term: chest leashes. Thank you:)
    When Homer pulls it is annoying sometimes but it's also very funny. He puts all of his strength into pulling and he moves his paws like he was swimming:p . I always laugh when I see this. He is little, so it's not a problem - if you have a bigger dog then I guess you just had to teach her not to pull.

claudine, Nov 9, 2012
  17. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have never heard them called chest leashes either. "Leash" is the long strap that would attach to it. I know the bit that goes around the chest and simply a "harness."

Jessi, Nov 10, 2012
  18. dashboardc33

This is new to me too. I thought that a harness is something that you put on a horse. But I'm not sure, English is not my primary language, I'm always happy to learn:p Everything would be easier if I bought a simple collar for my Homer:p

claudine, Nov 10, 2012
  19. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well yes, you can put a harness on a horse. You can also put a harness on a child, though....or a dog, etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harness

Actually, there's a wiki for dog harnesses specifically even:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_harness

Jessi, Nov 10, 2012
  20. dashboardc33

Sorry about that bit about the chest leashes. I haven't heard of the term either. Just kind of plucked it out of the thin air actually. I think the correct term should be harness. Basically a harness would be something that goes from the back, over the shoulders and across the chest. So paratroopers would wear their parachutes on a harness. I have seen some kids with harnesses on them, too. Not that I am in favor.

Talking about collars. Have you seen anything like this?
    [​IMG]

That's what I would call a plainly expensive collar.

Victor Leigh, Nov 11, 2012
Ask a Question