Destruction while you're away

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Does your dog do okay while home alone, or does s/he freak out until you're back? Any disaster stories?

Jessi, Jul 7, 2012
  2. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

We do have a dog before that almost destroyed our door when left alone so,I really find the photo funny as it brings back a memory. Lol
    We also have a dog when left alone, he would tear/munch paper and anything he could turn into pieces. :p

zararina, Jul 8, 2012
  3. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Peanuts didn't have the destructive genes but after she turned into a lady (her first estrus), I am now wondering if this still stands correct.

Every time we would leave the house, she would always be caught lying on top of the bed. A week ago, we caught her on top of the bed again. This time she left a pee mark which made me extremely mad.

Is leaving pee-mail on the bed considered foam destruction?:oops:

haopee, Jul 10, 2012
    pugskjj likes this.
  4. Jessi

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I had a dog once that when left alone would literally eat me out of house and home!! She ate a hole through the floor next to the toilet, I thought I was going to fall in! If you have ever seen Marley and Me, that is the kind of damage she did with her separation anxiety. Unfortunately I ended up having to adopt her out to a family with a stay at home mom since I worked so many hours.

pugskjj, Jul 11, 2012
    haopee likes this.
  5. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I just had a friend telling us about her dog who ate half the toilet seat, shower curtain, wall trim and paper, etc, and they ended up having to put it outside. They couldn't get it to stop eating everything.

Jessi, Jul 12, 2012
  6. Jessi

MakingCents Well-Known Member

That's my dog in a nutshell. He has MAJOR seperation anxiety and destroys the house when we leave. I had to put a baby gate in the window because I thought he was going to go through the window some day when we were gone.

MakingCents, Jul 12, 2012
  7. Jessi

Awww that poor baby, he just missed mommy. Luckily Kotton is too tiny to break out of a wet paper bag so I don't worry about her going out windows. But I swear she knows the sound of our car because as soon as we drive up she gets in the window!

pugskjj, Jul 12, 2012
  8. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Kotton sounds like a small dog. We'd love to see her picture now that she's old.

I'm sorry that you had to re-home your dog. But I think it was good that you did find her a home as some owners can just be so neglectful that they're willing to leave their pups on streets to fend for themselves rather than finding a suitable home for them.

Peanuts can no longer sleep on the bed. Now, my room is off limits when I'm away. But why should it matter when she gets the entire couch for herself.

haopee, Jul 16, 2012
  9. Jessi

She is a small pup, she weighs 3 pounds (3 1/2 after Superbowl parties LOL) and her legs are only a little less than 2 inches high
    Here are two pictures for reference the first is her next to a 44 oz. cup and in the second she is by my ankle, and barely taller than my ankle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pugskjj, Jul 16, 2012
  10. Jessi

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Wow! That initial reminded me an experience! For a time, I lived with my father in the city. Our Australian Shepherd would usually stay inside while we were away. He had no issues of tearing things up when we were gone. However, one time, he went into my room, and the door closed behind him. He ripped up the carpet by the door and damaged the door and one of the frame pretty badly.

Shepherd, Jul 17, 2012
  11. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer actually likes when I'm going somewhere because I always give him a treat while saying goodbye. He eats it and then he either goes to sleep or sits on his favorite windowsill and watches me leaving. He has never destroyed anything while home alone:D

claudine, Aug 11, 2013
  12. Jessi

trishgl Well-Known Member

Experts tell you that you need to give your dog enough play time and activities so that it won't have the energy to do naughty things. This works with my chow for the most part. We walk her in the morning, let her play in the garden in the early afternoon and walk her a bit in the early evening. She's usually not destructive and sleeps a lot indoors or just looks out the window from her padded chair. There are instances however that she would just shred a floor mat. Not always mind you just once in maybe 3 months. I still haven't figured out why. I'm thinking their must be a smell that triggers it.

trishgl, Sep 11, 2013
  13. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

I wish I could say the same about my Homer! Unfortunately, he has enough energy to do naughty things even when he is really tired. Yesterday, we had gone for 4 walks, we had been playing for almost an hour and what I found in the evening? A tissue torn up into pieces:p

claudine, Sep 13, 2013
  14. Jessi

Trellum Well-Known Member

I'm surprised my standard schnauzer is an extremely calm dog :) She has never been the type of dog that likes to destroy things, she actually likes exploring a little bit when I'm home (sneaking into the garden). My pug is a very calm dog as well, I guess she has enough troubles trying to breathe with that super flat nose!

Trellum, Sep 26, 2013
Ask a Question