Designer Dog Breeds

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Apr 4, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago, this wasn't a term I was familiar with. Designer breed dogs are breeds mixed for a specific purpose such as to enhance the physical appearance of a dog. They are from purebred dogs with known ancestry.

Knowing the designer breed's ancestry is also what makes them different from mutts.

Some common examples are Cockapoos, Maltipoos, Labradoodle and Golden Doodles.

[​IMG]
    Photo Courtesy by DogBreedInfo.com

Some of them are extremely cute. One of the advantages of having a mixed breed is that whatever genetic diseases the pure bred may have had, it's reduced dramatically simply because of the mixed gene pool.

However, I still prefer shelter dogs since I'm an adoption advocate.

haopee, Apr 4, 2012
  2. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Personally I think that those so-called designer breeds are just that close to being a scam. No kidding. It takes years and years of careful selective breeding to produce certain characteristics. To assume that just by crossing a Poodle with, say, a Labrador, you can get the best of the two breeds, is a very loose assumption, to put it mildly.

If mixed breeds is what moves your boat, then rescue dogs should be your choice.

Victor Leigh, Apr 5, 2012
  3. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

Personally,it does not matter to me what is the breed of the dog whether it is mixed or pure. All dogs are cute. :p
    Better if there would be more people who prefer rescued or shelter dogs but it is still a matter of choice if some would want to buy a pure breed on a breeder.

zararina, Apr 5, 2012
  4. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

You couldn't have said it better. Now, the reason why this ticks me off is because some people decide to make themselves breeders and sell their puppies online saying "designer dog breeds" when in actuality the puppies were born purely by mistake or accident since they don't have their dogs neutered or spayed.

I haven't yet met a breeder who sells designer dogs, but either way, a responsible breeder will have proper gene tests done in order to provide healthy mixes (just like purebred breeders). And I'm pretty sure they aren't simply assuming to combine two dogs together.

And I completely agree zararina, all dogs are cute.

haopee, Apr 5, 2012
  5. haopee

That's the reason why if you are really going to spend money to buy a dog, buy it only from responsible breeders.

One common feature of responsible breeders is that they keep careful detailed records of the lineage of each puppy that's born. They do this to make sure that they won't accidentally breed a dog with its siblings or its parents. I think a certified document of a dog's lineage is called a pedigree. Right?

Victor Leigh, Apr 7, 2012
  6. haopee

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I don't think breeding would have anything to do with a dogs personality. If you look at it in a human way, you could breed an American with an African American, but the person is still going to have their own personality. Maybe I just think of dogs too closely to humans.

dkramarczyk, Apr 12, 2012
  7. haopee

kinser Well-Known Member

The designer dog breed craze has contributed to puppy mill activity :( Designer dogs are just mixed breeds, and it's irresponsible to purposely bring more mixed breed dogs into a world with too many dogs already. Either buy a purebred from a responsible breeder, or adopt a shelter dog.

kinser, Apr 13, 2012
  8. haopee

Come to think of it, this designer breed thing is really all a marketing gimmick. A mixed breed is a mixed breed. However by calling it a designer breed, the price goes up.

Victor Leigh, Apr 13, 2012
    kinser likes this.
Ask a Question