Dangerous Foods For Dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by shdws, Feb 27, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

shdws, Feb 27, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  2. shdws

claudine Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this, lists like this are always very helpful. I had no idea that baking powder and baking soda are both highly toxic... and I never thought that dogs might like watermelons, I'll give Homer some during summer:)

claudine, Feb 27, 2013
  3. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I didn't know they liked watermelon either. My dog is a picky eater so he may not go for it. :)

shdws, Feb 28, 2013
  4. shdws

I'm always so surprised when I hear about dogs who are picky eaters. Mine eats absolutely everything - well, except for bananas. But if he saw me eating a banana, he would probably want to eat it too, lol:p

claudine, Feb 28, 2013
  5. shdws

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I have seen this list before. Some were a surprise. I know of dog owners who say garlic is a good way of ridding intestinal worms.
    It's would be handy for this list to be made a Sticky on Dog How for new forumers to view.

argon_0, Mar 1, 2013
  6. shdws

Lex Active Member

This was very informative, shdws. Thank you for sharing it with us. There were quite a few foods on there that I actually had no idea dogs shouldn't eat! My pup, Bandit, is actually a huge fan of grapes (though, he very rarely gets them), so this is all definitely good to know.

Lex, Mar 5, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  7. shdws

argon_0 Well-Known Member

It is certainly very informative. So much so it would be good to see it permanely pasted as a thread.

argon_0, Mar 5, 2013
  8. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

Mine can be a very picky eater, too. Even with his veggies, he likes them prepared a certain way or he'll kick them out. If I don't cut the carrots small enough or mush up the peas a bit, he'll just use his nose to root around in there, toss them out of his dish, and eat everything else instead. Brat!

Jessi, Mar 16, 2013
  9. shdws

zararina Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, I am not aware of all those foods or stuffs in the list.
    Good thing our dog does not drink the milk that I am giving him before. :p

zararina, Apr 4, 2013
  10. shdws

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information. My dog is very much picky on food as well and we have to find new ways everyday to make him eat. ( just like a baby)

schizophreniatype, Apr 12, 2013
  11. shdws

Aniko New Member

I find the chicken bone kind of dangerous for dogs. I have heard that the dog of a friend of mine had swallowed one and it has sticked his throat. So let's be careful, guys!

Aniko, Apr 15, 2013
  12. shdws

Aniko New Member

Our dog is so delicate as well! He prefers fresh food, as yours and really loves sweets. The nearby kids sometimes give him chips and chocolate :( I guess this is the main problem!

Aniko, Apr 15, 2013
  13. shdws

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Oh yes, they do. Or at least one of my dogs did. I had a Spitz mix called Terry. She would watch me every time I ate. And everything I ate, according to her, must be tasty. So if I ate watermelon, she must have watermelon, too. If I drank coke, she must drink coke, too.

Victor Leigh, Apr 15, 2013
  14. shdws

This sounds so familiar, lol!:D Homer always wants me to share my food with him - always, even if I eat something that he usually isn't too fond of.
    You didn't share coke with her, did you?:p

claudine, Apr 15, 2013
  15. shdws

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I did. Terry loved the coke. I didn't give her too much, though. Actually it's hard not to share the coke with her because I, myself, was drinking something like two to three 1-liter bottles a day.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2013
  16. shdws

Wow, that's a lot of coke:p
    But isn't it very unhealthy for dogs? It contains so much sugar and some awful, artificial ingredients. The strangest beverage Homer ever tried was coffee - I wasn't thinking, I left a cup on a table near a sofa - and he managed to reach it. Fortunately I noticed it and managed to stop him almost immediately.

claudine, Apr 27, 2013
  17. shdws

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I find this interesting because while some of the stuff was not a surprise since there are raw diets for dogs raw meat being bad for them seems odd. I talked at length to both my vet and my uncle who is a vet and they are pro raw diet for my dogs.

MzMonka, Apr 28, 2013
  18. shdws

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

I had never heard of onion and garlic being harmful to dogs before. In fact, it was regularly included in the food we gave them and it seemed to do them no more. It might have been because it was diluted a lot: there would be only one onion and a clove of garlic in a large pot of soup, of which they would only be given a bowlful or so. We never gave them a piece of onion or garlic to eat by itself.

As for chocolate, we never gave our dogs any but one of them stole some once. It might have given her diarrhoea but she survived it. She opened a box of chocolate and only ate the milk chocolates. We found the dark ones lying around: they had a bite mark in them so she had evidently tasted them and not liked them! She also stole sweets on a number of occasions.

To be honest, some of the other things sound like general healthy eating advice as it applies to humans too!

GavinMcresty, May 1, 2013
  19. shdws

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I know with onions they will eventually shut down a dogs kidney's. It depends on the size of the dog and how much onion it actually is. I would tend to think it is not when used for flavoring in stocks but more the actual onion. As to garlic I have always been under the impression that it is in moderation and not large amounts.

MzMonka, May 2, 2013
  20. shdws

trishgl Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing that article. I did not know that fat and bones could be harmful to them. I occasionally give my dog some cooked fat along with her dog food thinking it probably makes her meal tastier. I also sometimes give her a cheese roll round once a week since she likes it so much. My son also gives our dog raw egg once a week since he read in an article that its good for our chow's coat. I'll inform my family about these foods right away and thanks again.

trishgl, Jun 8, 2013
Ask a Question