Dachshunds and back problems

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by SheWolfSilver, Jan 24, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Yes, we all loved seeing him. The first time I saw it, I thought it was sad--how could a dog survive in a wheelchair? After the first afternoon, I understood just how much he loved people and loved life in general. I haven't seen them since Hurricane Katrina, but I've heard from a couple of people that they successfully evacuated the city and returned to the Square about six months later.

LoupGarouTFTs, Mar 7, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Very true. Dogs inspire human beings a lot with their perseverance and loyalty. It's a good thing that, generally speaking, dogs do not become influenced by the people they meet. Otherwise we will have dogs that bit you when you turn your back, dogs that bite the hand that feeds them, etc.

Victor Leigh, Mar 7, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

But they could be influenced by their master. Our dog would do what we told them, they associate themselves with us so it’s important that we also keep ourselves in check.

King Browny, Mar 8, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Actually it's still a mystery to me how dogs ended up living with human beings. It's not like dogs cannot find food for themselves. I think they are rather good at hunting in packs.

Victor Leigh, Mar 10, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

haopee Well-Known Member

Hey, SheWolfSilver, you have a dachshund? That's wonderful. One thing I've read regarding these dogs are that they are difficult to train than the average breed, but I beg to differ.

It's true that because of their longer spine (their spinal cord extends to their pelvis), they are prone to back problems which is why some veterinarians strictly advise owners to prevent them from doing high jumps. I believe the correct term for their most prevalent back issue is called IVD (Intervertebral disc disease). Most cases do heal without surgical procedures but they will need crate rest to fully recover.

haopee, Mar 17, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I've heard about them having back problems as well. I'm assuming it's because of the way that their body is shaped. It's very unfortunate they they have back problems though. It makes me feel bad for wanting one.

dkramarczyk, Apr 3, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I too disagree! I have one purebred dachshund and two mixes and they have all been very easy to train. So far we have all been in good health and had no back problems.

SheWolfSilver, Apr 5, 2012
Ask a Question