Dachshunds and back problems

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by SheWolfSilver, Jan 24, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I've heard that dachshunds are prone to spine problems. Does anyone know if this true? I'm very careful to keep their weight at a healthy level so we can maybe prevent this from happening. Is it something that can be prevented or is it inevitable?

SheWolfSilver, Jan 24, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

King Browny, Jan 25, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Same thought occurred to me. Bending down to pet dachschunds would give anyone's back a good workout. Unless you are doing the petting lying on the floor yourself.

Victor Leigh, Jan 26, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

So, I have been doing all the right things! That is good to know! Thanks!

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

zararina Well-Known Member

I have not experienced having a dachshunds but still good to learn about it just to add knowledge and in case I would have one.

zararina, Feb 15, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

When you think of Dachshunds, you do not normally think of racing, but apparently these little fellas can run. Watch this video:

Victor Leigh, Feb 16, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  7. SheWolfSilver

amy005 Well-Known Member

I have always been careful with mine as well. He is part dachshund. Fortunately for me I am really short myself. Under 5 feet. So I don't have to worry about having back problems! Just gotta keep an eye on my dog.

amy005, Feb 16, 2012
  8. SheWolfSilver

I have actually taken my dachshunds to the races one year! They didn't win but it was sure fun trying!

SheWolfSilver, Feb 16, 2012
  9. SheWolfSilver

I’m glad you had fun. Winning shouldn’t be the primary goal, isn’t it? For me, the experience from the competition, meeting new dog owners and dogs and learning from them, the bonding moments you have with your dog from training to the contest proper, seeing your dog giving his best shot, is what makes it all worthwhile.

King Browny, Feb 17, 2012
  10. SheWolfSilver

So, I wonder what happened to Dachshunds when they have back problems. I mean, I’ve never seen one with back problems before. Old people when they have osteoporosis, they look hunch forward as their upper back curved. What with the Dachshunds?

King Browny, Feb 17, 2012
  11. SheWolfSilver

Just looked up on racing Dachshunds. Definitely looked like a lot of fun. Have a look yourself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 18, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  12. SheWolfSilver

I belong to a dachshund forum and back problems range in severity and the course of action ranges from just putting them on a diet to actually having back surgery. A lot of times if it's not too severe the vet prescribes just keeping them calm and keeping them crated until the injury has healed.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 18, 2012
  13. SheWolfSilver

LOL. I can’t help smiling at work viewing all the dachshunds racing. Great photos, by the way. It’s like poetry in motion. I like the ones as if they are flying. It’s evident how serious these dachshunds are in the race. See, they fly. And they bump on each other to get ahead one another. Haha! I really like the first photo where the dachshund crossed over the line of another racer. It’s like s/he’s saying “Oh, no you don’t! I’ll get there first!" and the other one is saying, “Give it your best shot ‘cause I will win this race (eyes fixed on the finish line).” :D

King Browny, Feb 18, 2012
  14. SheWolfSilver

Great! Thanks for the info. I thought it could really be bad that they will have bad postures or something and they’ll get stuck with it. I’m relieved it doesn’t have to be that way.

King Browny, Feb 18, 2012
  15. SheWolfSilver

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Sometimess surgery cannot correct the problems that dachshunds have with their spines. There are wheelchairs made for dogs with spinal problems. The chairs are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 20, 2012
  16. SheWolfSilver

Not correcting doesn’t mean it’s not cured, right? It’s still good to know that though it’s not corrected, it could be mended and that there are other means for the dog to continue his socializing around.

King Browny, Feb 21, 2012
  17. SheWolfSilver

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Well, not corrected means that the dog won't regain function of its limbs (if the spinal problems have gone that far) or that there will still be pain or weakness at the point where the dog was experiencing problems. But yes, spinal problems can be mended and treated and dogs can continue to socialize quite well. When I worked in Jackson Square (New Orleans), I knew a little dapple mini dachshund that would run from person to person, greeting them. His hind legs were suspended in a tiny dog wheelchair, somewhat similar in appearance to a horse racing sulky, which moved very easily even across cobblestones. It was an amazing thing to see. Even better, the chair was easy to remove, so he did not suffer any loss of snuggles and cuddles when his owner was sitting at her table in the Square.

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 22, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  18. SheWolfSilver

That mini dapple dachshund surely brings sparkle to those who see it. I mean I could imagine its hind legs suspended in a tiny dog wheelchair while it greeted every person in the room with great ease and spunk. If I have a problem and I would see it like that, I’ll be able to face my problem in high spirit. :)

King Browny, Feb 28, 2012
    LoupGarouTFTs likes this.
  19. SheWolfSilver

My Bitsy is a mini silver dapple and I could see here being like that! She loves people and she wouldn't let a little thing like not being able to walk keep her from meeting new friends. :)

SheWolfSilver, Feb 28, 2012
    LoupGarouTFTs and King Browny like this.
  20. SheWolfSilver

Here are some Dachshunds on wheels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Mar 4, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
Ask a Question