Dоеs brushing yоur dоg's tееth rеаlly wоrk?Whаt dо yоu think?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Goodman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Goodman

Goodman Member

Wе brush оur tееth twiсе а dаy (оr mоrе), flоss dаily аnd visit thе dеntist еvеry 6 mоnths fоr prоfеssiоnаl сlеаning. аnd thеy still find things tо аddrеss. Brushing yоur pеt's tееth (еvеry dаy!) is thе bеst wаy tо hеlp kееp gingivitis аnd pеriоdоntаl disеаsе аt bаy, but it саnnоt rеplасе prоfеssiоnаl dеntаl сlеаning undеr аnеsthеsiа. This is bесаusе mоst dеntаl disеаsе wе sее in оur pеt pоpulаtiоn is undеr thе gums аnd rеquirеs а pеriоdоntаl prоbе аnd dеntаl x-rаy tо diаgnоsе. Thе bеst dоg оn еаrth is nоt gоing tо аllоw mе tо сlеаn аll аrеаs оf its tееth, аbоvе аnd bеlоw thе gum linе, with shаrp, mеtаl instrumеnts whilе аwаkе. аnd this typе оf сlеаning is аbsоlutеly vitаl tо dеntаl аnd оrаl hеаlth.
    Intrа оrаl rаdiоgrаphs аrе аlsо аbsоlutеly vitаl. Dоgs оftеn hаvе brоkеn tееth аnd еvеn vеry smаll еnаmеl frасturеs саn rеsult in tооth rооt аbsсеssеs. Sоmе dоgs (еspесiаlly smаll brееds) dеvеlоp tооth rооt аbsсеssеs with nо visiblе dаmаgе tо thе tооth аnd nо mеаsurаblе pеriоdоntаl disеаsе. Bесаusе thеy аrе stоiс сrеаturеs, dоgs аnd саts dоn't соmplаin аbоut dеntаl disеаsе аnd wе оnly find suсh prоblеms during аnеsthеtizеd еxаm аnd x-rаys (thеrе is аn еxсеptiоn tо thе nо-соmplаint "rulе" аnd thаt's with а vеry pаinful соnditiоn саllеd stоmаtitis whiсh mаkеs it inсrеdibly pаinful tо еаt аnd swаllоw. Thеrе аrе fеw оthеr соnditiоns thаt will stоp а pеt еаting).

Brushing yоur dоg's tееth is thе bеst thing yоu саn dо tо hеlp mаintаin gооd оrаl hеаlth аnd hеlp prеvеnt gingivitis аnd pеriоdоntаl disеаsе

Goodman, Jul 27, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Goodman

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Our dog named Tisoy turned 9 years old last month. I always brush his teeth whenever I would give him a bath and that's every weekend only. We noticed last year that he has bad breath and that is due to the decaying teeth. When we consulted the vet about it, the diagnosis is genetic hence the teeth has been decaying. So that means brushing the teeth is not that effective to prevent tooth decay? We were offered oral cleaning but out dog has to undergo general anesthesia and I don't like that so we declined the recommendation.

Corzhens, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Goodman

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Every vet now recommends that the dog's teeth needs to be cleaned in every 6 months, and the cost is around 100-150 dollars. My dog is still considered a puppy, but I have thought about it for a while. I might need to do it.

For now, I bought him raw hide to chew on, and it helps! The cost is my biggest concern though. It is just too much!

IcyBC, Aug 2, 2016
    Pippin likes this.
  4. Goodman

claudine Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's so important. I've never brushed Homer's teeth, because he wouldn't let me. Yet, his teeth are very strong, healthy and white. He's almost 10 years old.
    I sometimes give him dental dog treats though. He loves chewing them.

claudine, Aug 2, 2016
    Pippin likes this.
  5. Goodman

amelia88 Well-Known Member

I don't know that Banjo would sit still long enough for me to brush his teeth. We give him specially made dental treats which are supposed to be helpful for them and when he goes to the groomers and the vets they also attend to his teeth then. From what I can see/tell, his teeth are in pretty good shape.

amelia88, Aug 2, 2016
  6. Goodman

remnant Well-Known Member

It doesn't make sense to brush dog's teeth because they retain their self cleaning mechanisms inherent in their canine family from which one member possesses the strongest teeth (the hyena). Giving several cloves of garlic in dog food will work wonders.

remnant, Aug 2, 2016
  7. Goodman

Pippin Member

I feel the same way, I don't think it's that important. I chose not to do it especially after hearing that dog's teeth/mouths are cleaner than humans will ever be after doing all the things they do with their mouths...I was convinced brushing them was a waste of time.

I will take them to the vet every 4 to 6 months or so for professional work, but other than that, they are on their on when it comes down to cleaning their mouths.

Pippin, Aug 2, 2016
Ask a Question