Currently looking for a new dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dkramarczyk, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dkramarczyk

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I've finally decided that I would like to have another dog. I'm not really looking for a puppy or anything, I want a dog that is already trained mostly. I had two questions though. Are there any specific breeds that are more likely to be good with children? Also, my husband is currently not on board with getting a dog. He doesn't really like dogs. How can I convince him?

dkramarczyk, Apr 20, 2012
  2. dkramarczyk

kinser Well-Known Member

I would be leary of getting any kind of pet if your hubby doesn't want one. He might end up resenting the animal and causing stress within the family.

If he relents, however, I would recommend going to an animal shelter and adopting - many shelters have evalutated the dogs' behavior and can place a dog with your family who is the best fit. I think you're smart for avoiding a puppy - I will never have another! Too much work, too much stress, too much expense (my dogs ruined a lot in my house during their puppy chewing and potty training stages).

Good luck - I hope you can get your husband to agree. Every kid needs a dog!

kinser, Apr 20, 2012
  3. dkramarczyk

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think in this case, shelve the idea of getting a dog until and only if your husband gets round to the idea of thinking of a dog as a pet and not a pest. You wouldn't want to put yourself into the dilemma of having to choose between your dog and your husband.

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
  4. dkramarczyk

I think I am going to have to put it off. Although, he is pretty anti-dog, I can't live without animals, so in the future he is just going to have to manage. I was raised around animals, there's no way I can give them up. I want my kids to be around animals too so that they know that animals are wonderful beings.

5. dkramarczyk

In that case, let me suggest taking it slow and easy. Start with a small, quiet little puppy. A Shih Tzu would be fine. It's not the yappy kind and it very good at impersonating a stuffed toy. A sleeping stuffed toy, to be exact. Then you can gradually work your way up. Who knows, one day you might be able to get him to love one of these:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
  6. dkramarczyk

zararina Well-Known Member

There are really lots of good things about owning a dog. And hope your husband will finally agrees with it. ;)
    Short haired dogs could be a better choice since less shedding for the kids around.

zararina, Apr 20, 2012
  7. dkramarczyk

Yeah, I was thinking something like a beagle. They're small and short hair, so it should be fine in the future. Until then, I'll have to make do with my cats and guinea pigs.

8. dkramarczyk

I hope the Beagle you get has an easy-going personality. I know that some dogs are particular about the people around them. If they detect that someone doesn't like them, they will be totally anti that person. I hope this doesn't happen in your case.

Victor Leigh, Apr 21, 2012
  9. dkramarczyk

Well the beagle that I was looking at seems like a love everyone kind of dog. She loves all people. But I'm still not so sure it'd be a good idea to get her quite yet. My husband does make some good points about lack of space at the moment, but when we have more space, I will make sure to find a dog that suits our family well and will love everyone and make everyone love them.

dkramarczyk, Apr 22, 2012
Ask a Question