Craigslist Puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mudd04, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Mudd04

Mudd04 Member

Have you purchased a puppy off of craigslist? How did things turn out and what was your experience like? Have you ever placed your pet on Craigslist only to find they were placed with someone else later for a profit?

Craigslist isn't just a place to find dogs in need of a new home, many people make extra money selling pets on Craigslist. Puppies being sold too young that can lead to future behavioral and socialization problems, people selling pups with no shots or vet care, people selling very sick pups (such as parvo) and puppy scams are all common on craigslist.

There are also the 'flippers' which make up a very large part of the Craigslist Pet Community under different identities which are people who get pets cheap or for free and then represent them otherwise and try to make a profit. Flippers make up a large part of the 'wanted' and even 'will rescue' posts.

What has your experience with puppies on Craigslist been whether it's positive or negative?

Mudd04, Jul 15, 2012
  2. Mudd04

haopee Well-Known Member

We don't have Craigslist here but we do have online sellers who sell purebred puppies simply for profit. Purebred dogs are somewhat a luxury in our country that mostly only the rich can afford. I was once a victim of such before I became a responsible pet owner.

I was looking for a puppy of my own and wanted to take care of a purebred puppy. I searched online for a good breeder but apparently there wasn't much of a difference between the two except for the difference in prices. So I checked out the different sellers and found one that have had good reviews (probably of her cheap priced pups who they vaccinated and dewormed themselves). This person did not sell documented dogs. Documented dogs are puppies with papers (proof of their ancestry and such). We talked in the phone and she decided to message me that she will sell the puppy at a cheap price.

Back then, I wasn't aware of what I was getting myself into. I took a look at the puppy and like any other dog lover, I fell in-love without checking his health and behavior. Long story short, I ended up spending a lot to cure his mange (to which I've jumped from one vet to another) and his corneal ulcer. I am lucky that these are the only things he got. I'm sure some owners have had experienced worst.

I currently have 5 dogs under my care, 3 of which are adopted.

haopee, Jul 16, 2012
  3. Mudd04

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No Craiglist here either. We do have a rescue shelter. So far all the dogs I see are being offered with proper vaccination and neutering. The buyer only pays for the fees. No other charges. Don't see much room for scammers in that.

Victor Leigh, Jul 16, 2012
  4. Mudd04

zararina Well-Known Member

I have not tired buying a dog or even anything from Craiglist and even online.
    Mostly of our dogs are being given by friends. ;)

zararina, Jul 16, 2012
  5. Mudd04

Mudd04 Member

There are plenty of scams and sellers of ill repute operating under the guise of 'shelters and rescues' as well (such as a few slipping through on petfinder) though Victors certainly sounds legit. I am curious where you guys are from? I'm here in Las Vegas, NV in the US. The pet section of craigslist can be extremely frustrating so you aren't missing much and not a place to buy a puppy for sure.

The pet section on CL is known to be a little combative to say the least and very much so in the larger and busier cities. The one for Las Vegas can be a mad house. Constant rants and raves and arguing, unethical flagging for any reason they choose, insults and all kinds of puppies and flippers and 'breeders' selling pups. No matter what you say or post you get flagged or in an argument or a flood of nasty emails and wind up frustrated and upset it seems.

Mudd04, Jul 17, 2012
  6. Mudd04

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I have never sold any animal on Craigslist, nor have I gotten any puppies from Craigslist I just can't afford their prices. It seems like everyone wants purebred prices for "mutts." I have however gotten other animals off of there that needed a better home. I have paid all kinds of prices for their neglected animals, rehabilitated them and then rehomed them for free to people I knew.

pugskjj, Jul 17, 2012
Ask a Question