Consoling your dog does not relieve their panic

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, May 29, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

This is one of the interesting topics I've first read about. Now, a scientific research has been done to prove what dog behaviorists have been telling owners about consoling pets during a state of panic. According to the article below, it doesn't help.
    What do you do to your dogs when they act scared during thunderstorms?

haopee, May 29, 2012
  2. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I agree that they get sad or upset when left alone as dogs seems to always like a company.
    When there are thunderstorms and it makes our dog scared a bit, we just talk to him telling it was nothing and hug him, stay with him or play with him.

zararina, May 30, 2012
  3. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

I try not to baby Misha. It's too easy to do with a small dog. When something scary like a thunderstorm happens, I try to create background noise so she doesn't hear it so loudly. I provide her with a safe place. Her tent bed with her favorite blanket is always ready for her. I figure she is better off going in there in her safe place than me babying her. If she wants to lay by my side, I try to make it seem as normal as possible.

I do believe that dogs feed off our energy. So, I can see how our reaction can affect how they will react to things.

Melody, May 31, 2012
  4. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

Hmm, so if it doesn't matter either way, then what should we do? Just leave them alone entirely? Distract them? Wait it out?

Jessi, Jun 18, 2012
  5. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

One thing I read is that your should distract them and try to keep it light. Bring play into the picture so that your dog sees whatever the scary situation is as a happy time.

I have heard that you can desensitize dogs. Get an MP3 of thunder noises. You start by playing it low and then a little louder. The idea is that eventually the dog won't care.

I'm not sure if either of these work, but they might be worth a try. I admit that when Misha is like this, I let her go hide in her tent. I don't console or baby her though. I figure she will come out when she is ready.

Melody, Jun 18, 2012
Ask a Question