collars

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mak73, Aug 17, 2015.

1. mak73

mak73 Member

What time of collar do you use for your dog? We have always used the adjustable material kind. Does anyone use the choker chain? My pit has been having trouble for some reason with the adjustable material kind. Her skin is rubbing raw like. We tried different ones. We put on a choker chain when we are in the yard which we put her tags on. She doesn't have it on in the house.

mak73, Aug 17, 2015
  2. mak73

Winterybella Well-Known Member

http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-training/training-tools/choosing-the-right-leash-and-collar

If you are a Cesar fan that link might help. I no longer keep a collar around the necks of my small dogs. They get ripped off in play when I let them outside.I am now down to one harness type one of Zola and two regular ones for Remy and Ginger. Reba's is always in tact as the is the big dog and no rough play can remove hers. I prefer the harness when they are going on walks. It doesn't look like punishment.

Winterybella, Aug 17, 2015
  3. mak73

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have just a regular collar on Capone, and he has no problem with it. My daughter also bought him a harness, and we use this one for walk and going to the vet. Sometimes, he doesn't wear one, but he FEELS naked and looks for it :) He knows with the collar on, he can go for walk or go for car ride.

IcyBC, Aug 18, 2015
  4. mak73

mak73 Member

When we take her for walks we use a harness. It's just the times when we are in our yard, is when we put the other collar on her. Our yard isn't fenced in completely and if she sees a rabbit, squirrel,etc she will dart out if we don't see it in time. Usually if I call her , she stops before heading out. I don't like not having some form of id on her. In the house she slips off the collar herself but thankfully, she keeps it on outside.

mak73, Aug 18, 2015
  5. mak73

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I see your concern. Well I can find none of the IDs for my small dogs. I used to be able to find them after I found out they went missing. I'd often go outside and find them somewhere in the grass. Over time I got tired searching so they may be buried in the earth. In my case my entire yard in secured with a guard wall, so I won't have the concerns you do. Your case is a little more tricky than mine. I think collars make the dogs look more attractive but with the way they lose them, I have held off buying any more and making what I have work for their walks.

Winterybella, Aug 18, 2015
  6. mak73

anadrotowski Member

We use just the regular adjustable kind. The choker ones bothered our family to no end due to our dogs would constantly pull on them. Also, I was concerned that they'd get stuck somewhere with their choker and end up harming themselves.

anadrotowski, Aug 20, 2015
  7. mak73

claudine Well-Known Member

In summer, Homer wears a flea and tick collar. It doesn't look pretty, so we always take it off when the weather gets cold.
    He doesn't have a regular dog collar.

claudine, Aug 21, 2015
  8. mak73

Trellum Well-Known Member

My dog doesn't use a collar right now, she runs free in our house, so there is no need for a collar. She only wears one when we are taking her out. We use a normal collar and leash when going for walks, I've been thinking of trying something like a harness, I think it offers more support.

Trellum, Aug 27, 2015
  9. mak73

claudine Well-Known Member

A harness is a great choice. My Homer has one. He wears it whenever we go for a walk. He pulls on leash, so a collar could choke him:( Yorkies have delicate necks.

claudine, Aug 28, 2015
  10. mak73

Tomi Active Member

The adjustable type works for wham. Use it only when going away from the house otherwise it is free reign the rest of the time.

Tomi, Aug 30, 2015
Ask a Question