Clipping Nails

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dashboardc33, Nov 13, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

How often do you clip your dogs nails? I know some people who clip their dogs nails every time they bathe or groom them. I have other friends who clip the nails only as often as they take them in to a professional groomer. I know others who have never clipped them in their lives. Where do you stand on this matter? Do you think it is important to clip the nails often?

dashboardc33, Nov 13, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think it's important to do it regularly, but not necessarily "often." We usually get it done when his nails start scratching the floors. You can hear them clicking and if you look at them, that's about the time where they'll start curling under and possibly causing him issues. We should probably do it more often, but I just don't think about it otherwise.

Jessi, Nov 14, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

I never do it myself, Homers paws are strictly restricted area, I can't touch them:p . If I did, he would bite me. He has his nails clipped only when I'm taking him to a professional groomer - so not very often.

claudine, Nov 14, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

It's very important to clip your dog's nails, especially their little side nail (dew claw). I only clip my little boy's nails when he goes to the groomer which is about once a month (he's a Pomeranian). I do, however, have to clip the little dew claw in between visits to the groomer because it grows quicker and it curves over. When the nail curves over, my little guy gets it stuck on his collar and his bedding. Most of the time I just use fingernail clippers to snap a little off the end of this dew claw. Dog clippers work as well.

AutumnFaith2012, Nov 14, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka's nails aren't clipped that often. We live in the country and the roads are made of rock. I guess her daily walks put and end to long nails?

argon_0, Nov 14, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

I clip my dogs nails once a month or whenever I get the chance (which isn't so often, I might add). Usually when they allow me to tinker with their nails while they get occasional belly rubs, then that's the time I get my nail clippers out.

Rin, on the other hand, no longer trusts me with her nails. She doesn't get hers cut. Fortunately for me though, she knows how to file them herself. Sometimes, at night, I would hear her scratching the 3rd floor which is basically made of rough cement.

haopee, Nov 22, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol! Why doesn't she trust you any more? Did you snip too close at some point and hit a cuticle? I find it funny that she scratches the cement style floor to keep them in shape herself.

Jessi, Nov 22, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes. She's also the dog that doesn't get a single tick on her body even when she's accompanied by a tick ridden dog! She also grooms this other tick-ridden dog by biting at them. Yes, she's like a personal groomer of herself and Whitey.

Yes, I cut the quick! And it's still fresh in my mind like it was yesterday even when it's been years since that happened. I am now scared of cutting dogs' black nails for the fear that it might bleed profusely like what happened to Rin.

Back then, she was badly neglected. Her nails we broken because they were too long and they locked her up for what seemed like forever in a cage. I was devastated and I had let her out. Unfortunately, this was also the reason why her nails got broken and some of them were already bleeding. I couldn't help but get myself the clippers and have it cut. Unfortunately, I did cut the quick.:(

haopee, Nov 23, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No fixed schedule actually. I check their nails every time I give them a bath which is about once a week. Then I clip their nails, if necessary. It's easier to clip the nails after a bath because the nails are softer then.

Victor Leigh, Nov 28, 2012
Ask a Question