Choosing Breeds through Appearance

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by haopee, Jan 24, 2013.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Sure, the Old English Sheep Dog looks marvelous with its white fur and adorable looking bangs. The Afghan hound is majestic strolling with its long ground-length fur, but understand that most dogs with long fur can be difficult to care for.

I was once guilty of choosing a pup for its cuteness and lap dog appearance. Grooming was a different story. And although I'm long past the novice owner phase, I still hope that people will choose dogs that are appropriate for their patience and lifestyle.

If you aren't an active person, try not to get a beagle or a border collie. If you don't like constant grooming, lean away from long -haired breeds.

Remember, your dog will be part of your lives longer than your latest mobile phone, so please choose wisely.

haopee, Jan 24, 2013
  2. haopee

shdws Well-Known Member

This is great advice hoapee. I think we have all been guilty of being swept off our feet by a cute puppy, only to find out his breed doesn't match our personality that well. Thankfully, my dog and I go well together.

shdws, Jan 24, 2013
  3. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's definitely great advice.

It's okay to be attracted to various breeds, but the important part is to follow through and make sure their other characteristics are really right for you. Dogs live a really long time and you should be prepared to care for them their entire lives.

Jessi, Jan 24, 2013
  4. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I've always wanted a Yorkshire Terrier. I just love them, I smile every time I see them. I think Yorkies are the cutest...so yes, I'm guilty, I chose Homer mostly for his appearance:p . But I did some research before buying him because I wanted to know as much about this breed as possible. Owning a dog is a great responsibility after all.

claudine, Jan 24, 2013
  5. haopee

iluvmario Well-Known Member

Thank you for this post, it is very true. I also picked my Yorkies for their appearance. I like tiny cute dogs. I usually keep them cut short so I don't have to brush their hair everyday.

iluvmario, Feb 17, 2013
  6. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice advance.
    I usually do not choose what breed to have cause I usually got our dogs from friends. And our latest dog was just a stray dog that we do not know what breed he was when we decided to adopt him.

zararina, Feb 17, 2013
  7. haopee

trishgl Well-Known Member

I don't think its bad that people fall in love with how a dog looks and then they buy them. My only issue is if they don't care enough to see to the breed's needs. Huskies for example are gorgeous dogs! Who wouldn't want one. They however need a lot of exercise for them to be healthy and content. When I lived in a condo we had 2 neighbors who each had a huski. One neighbor would jog with his pet morning and afternoon. The other one would be lucky if her owner would walk her once a day. The result was that the one that was jogged twice a day was more social and less prone to howling. The one that did not get exercise would often look longingly at anyone who passed by their veranda and would often chew the furniture inside their unit.

trishgl, Jul 3, 2013
  8. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

Yorkies are the most adorable, aren't they? I love that they always look like puppies, even when they're adults, it's really cute:D . I keep my Homer's hair cut short too because it's more convenient this way, although in my opinion he looks better with long, a little messy hair.

claudine, Jul 3, 2013
  9. haopee

Jezebella Member

I usually pick mutts, but I have been almost swayed by a sweet face. Luckily, I didn't actually go as far as getting a dog who wouldn't work with my lifestyle. That's not fair to the dog. I am going to be finding the next member of my family next year, so hopefully I will find one who is a good fit for my home.

Jezebella, Jul 20, 2013
Ask a Question