Can dogs watch TV?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jules21158, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jules21158

jules21158 Member

My son's Jack Russell is facinated with wildlif programmes. H will sit glued to the TV for hours if there is a nature programme on.

But can he actually see the TV picture properly like we do?

jules21158, Jan 20, 2012
  2. jules21158

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs watch tv, it's hilarious. Especially if there's other animals on the tv, they'll sit up and have their eyes focused on the animal. One of my dogs actually growls whenever a bad guy comes on TV, too, and as a pup would watch FIFA with me and follow the ball back and forth across the screen, wanting to catch it.

Nick87, Jan 21, 2012
  3. jules21158

zararina Well-Known Member

I think some dogs could really watch TV as I had seen some videos of some dogs who seems to enjoy watching TV. They react depends on what is the show so I think they could see it clearly.
    I have not have a dog who likes to watch TV cause most of them just like to guard the gate/door or sleep when not eating. :p

zararina, Jan 23, 2012
  4. jules21158

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes, they can, but not in as much visual detail as we do. Dogs have less versatile irises which make their eyes adjust slower in different light settings. This is also the reason why they can see better at night and can catch minimal movements.

However, they do get fixated in TVs. Others even bark at the tv- like as if they were talking to it. There'd been videos being sold for pets and although I haven't seen one, these videos were highly specified for pet viewing purposes.

haopee, Mar 22, 2012
  5. jules21158

Jessi Well-Known Member

In addition to what haopee said about them having less versatile irises, dogs are also color blind in a sense. It's not like human color blindness, but a similar concept. Humans see in red, blue, and yellow (and all the colors those 3 can create, of course). Dogs only see in blue and yellow...so all the red hues are gone. That's normal for them obviously, but it does mean they're going to be seeing things a bit different than you do.

Jessi, Mar 24, 2012
Ask a Question