Can Cross Breeding Effect Temperament?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by jules21158, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jules21158

Trellum Well-Known Member

I highly dout it to be honest, are you sure he is not being exposed to a stressing enviroment. Most of the time when a dog is starting to develop an aggressive behaviour it means something is going on. You need to find out what is really going on. Does he have contact with little children unsupervised?

Trellum, Jun 16, 2015
  2. jules21158

LilAnn Well-Known Member

@Trellum is right. Mine are always at their worst when they get jealous. Ever since little Ann came around there have been some serious effed up behavior. The worst is the 2nd youngest, Buster. He suddenly forgot how to use the doggy door and started urinating in my kitchen. I know it was him because he made no attempt to be sneaky or try to get away with it. But now I let his 100 lb butt in my lap now and again and he's fine.

LilAnn, Jun 16, 2015
  3. jules21158

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Aren't dogs become possessive toward one member more than another in the same family in general? Cross-breed and how they are raise should come in to this factor too, thus it can result in being aggressive or possessive toward one person. I know Jack Russell usually doesn't like or can tolerate children much.

IcyBC, Sep 9, 2015
  4. jules21158

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I read recently that every breed of dog has a particular temperament. Pit bulls, for example, naturally love people. Thats why you'll see so many big, cuddly babies that are pits. The ones that are trained to be horrible give the rest a bad name. But when they are raised right you won't find a friendlier pup.

If you breed a pit with a dog who naturally dislikes people, the issue isn't that other dog's unfriendly temperament, so uch. Its more because there is a constant conflict between the two genetically inherited attitudes. He is constantly being pulled in two different directions at once, with no idea how to cope with it.

LilAnn, Sep 25, 2015
  5. jules21158

claudine Well-Known Member

I don't think cross breeding can change temperament. Every dog has a unique personality. And if you train them well and take a good care of them, they love you more than anything:)

claudine, Sep 27, 2015
  6. jules21158

remnant Well-Known Member

It is quite possible that these genetic mutations are as a result of crossbreeding due to transmission of genes from the parent to the offspring. All types of possibilities are possible due to this process. Genetic recombination can result in two mild tempered dogs giving rise to a temperamental progeny. It could also be due to environmental stressors and dogs respond differently to different kinds of stress due to their differing personalities.

remnant, Jun 9, 2016
  7. jules21158

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I know several dog breeders and I am even close to them. They all say that it's not good to mix a breed because you cannot expect the temperament of the dog. Like the pit bull which is not a pure breed, it is used for dog fighting for its natural ferocity. With smaller dogs, there are also temperamental dogs like the chihuahua - my husband was bitten by a chihuahua in one dog show that we attended. I had a dog since 1996 and even attempted to breed our first female dog although it did not bear fruit. But now we don't want to breed and just let our dogs be pets and not for multiplying. At least we are safe from the unpredictable outcome of a mixed breed.

Corzhens, Jul 1, 2016
Ask a Question