Breeding pit bulls banned

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Libragirl67, May 10, 2013.

1. Libragirl67

Trellum Well-Known Member

I have noticed cocker spaniels aren't as sweet as they look ;) There is a cocker spaniael that barks at us a lot, not a normal bark, but he or she actually looks like he or she wants to bite us, if only she/he could, lol. Sometimes the smallest cutest dogs can be really aggressive as well. Yet they don't get as bad rep as pits when something bad happens.

Trellum, May 24, 2015
  2. Libragirl67

claudine Well-Known Member

That's true. Small dogs can be very aggressive if not trained well, but if I had to choose between being bitten by a Pit Bull and a Chihuahua, I'd go with the latter;) As for cocker spaniels, I really don't like this breed. I'm scared of them.

claudine, May 24, 2015
  3. Libragirl67

Yeah, just like when my mom was bitten on the tip of the nose by a tiny chihuahua, lol. We all laughed. Truth is all dogs can be aggressive if not trained right, no matter the breed, people needs to understand that. That is why I like small dogs :) Plus I've noticed the bigger the dog the harder it is to train...

Trellum, May 25, 2015
  4. Libragirl67

Winterybella Well-Known Member

When I was very young we had a Pit Bull and later when I got married I gave my husband a pit as I remember it. I think it's what he wanted. Anyway, neither of these dogs were vicious. In fact I recall people joking that they were not not real pit bulls as they were so sedate...especially the one I grew up around as a child. That's my recollection.

Winterybella, May 25, 2015
  5. Libragirl67

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Banning Pittbulls won't help, but if there is any law that going into effect, it should all gear toward people. Breeders, of all sorts, should obtain a permit that including all different kinds of tests, checking out the environment before allow to breed any dog. There is no regulations on this part so we have too many dogs/cats being euthanized.

If there is a law, this should be one, breeders, backyard breeders, and accidental breeders should face charges if they are caught without a permit. Can you imagine how many dogs and cats would be saved with such law in effect?

I don't think Pittbulls are to blamed! It is the owners!

IcyBC, Aug 21, 2015
  6. Libragirl67

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I raise my babies like I do my kids. They are very loved, and spoiled and happy. When I say, if I eat my dogs eat, it means if I'm out of dog food, but I have a spaghetti dinner cooked, my babies are getting spaghetti. And not one has ever tried to hurt anyone. They will bark and growl when someone is here, because I think it breaks the monotony of their day. But they are just really big babies, with really big heads.

After seeing the footage of pit fights, and puppy farms, I have to agree about permits. Too many people use them as a weapon rather than a companion.

LilAnn, Aug 26, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. Libragirl67

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Usually the dogs get the blame and bad reputation and then get put to dead! My lawn care guy has just put down one of his mixed dog, and the dog was of collie and chow, because it bit his sister and she was hospitalized for over three days. However, we don't hear about these types of dogs as often, but most likely pit bull, german shepherd, doberman, and rotweiller.

IcyBC, Aug 27, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  8. Libragirl67

If this happened to me, I wouldn't put down an aggressive dog, I'd give it away to a person who is really good at training dogs. I've always been against the death penalty:)

claudine, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Libragirl67

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Once a dog gets the "taste of blood", they can't be taught to forget about it.

LilAnn, Aug 29, 2015
  10. Libragirl67

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Now I understand why the dog has to be put down! I was just puzzled how my lawn care guy's dog has to be put down so quickly as it has never done anything like that before. The "taste of blood" made sense.

IcyBC, Aug 30, 2015
  11. Libragirl67

This is so scary:(
    I know that some owners feed their dogs raw meat. Can it make them more aggressive?

claudine, Aug 31, 2015
  12. Libragirl67

LilAnn Well-Known Member

It makes them A LOT more aggressive! Them feeding their dogs gun powder makes them dangerous, too. I've also heard about them hiring someone of a certain race, (dog owner's preference), to beat the dog so bad that the dog will eventually attack anyone of that race. Its horrible what they do to these poor dogs.

LilAnn, Sep 2, 2015
  13. Libragirl67

This is unbelievable and so very, very awful!:( How can anyone do such a thing?:(
    I've never tried to feed my Homer raw meat mostly because I worry about parasites.

claudine, Sep 3, 2015
  14. Libragirl67

jleew0115 New Member

All dogs are a product of their environment. I have not met a single dog till this day, after working with them at several jobs, that was not turned aggressive by incompetent or just plain cruel people. The breed is one of the smartest and most loving and loyal dogs out there. I know people who are more aggressive! I have a bull mastiff, which though not a pit, is thrown into the "bully" category and despite her size, she is the most affectionate and protective animal I have ever had. Banning a breed isn't going to stop cruel people from being cruel, it will just make the "sport" more profitable for scum by making it a rarity to have a pit. As for me if I was ever to want to breed my dog (I don't, since I don't want her personality to change) I would do it regardless of what moronic laws are in place!

jleew0115, Dec 3, 2015
  15. Libragirl67

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's true. Most big dogs I know are very calm and sweet. They rarely bark and aren't aggressive at all.
    I can't say the same thing about Homer. He's so spoiled! Many little dogs don't listen to their owners;)

claudine, Dec 17, 2015
  16. Libragirl67

@claudine Long time no see, how is it going with you? As for big dogs, well, there is no rule, it all depends on the owner really. I've seen some really nice and sweet big dogs, but others not so much. I think having a lot strength, stamina and a very firm character helps when raising big dogs.

Trellum, Dec 17, 2015
  17. Libragirl67

I missed you!:) It's great you're back.
    And I completely agree, it all depends on the owner. I think that most owners of big dogs take those things more seriously than small dogs owners. I've never really tried to train Homer, because I know he can't harm anyone, he's tiny. Also, I simply can't say no to him, haha:)

claudine, Dec 17, 2015
Ask a Question