Breed only if you have connections

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Corzhens, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

My husband's brother has a female shih tzu and they planned to make breeding a small business for his children. After mating with a paid stud, their dog had 6 puppies. They put it up for sale by advertising in Facebook and posters in their area. But after 5 months, the realization hit them that they are left with the puppies who were not grown. As a result, they now taking care of 7 dogs. And they admitted that it is so difficult to sell puppies unless you have connections with the pet shop or with other breeders.

Corzhens, Mar 13, 2016
  2. Corzhens

Trellum Well-Known Member

Better ''don't breed at all''. I don't like the breeding 'business'', this breeding thing is the one to blame for all those dogs in the streets. I've seen so many pure breed ones lately in the streets, it's so sad. Wish more people adopted.

Trellum, Mar 13, 2016
  3. Corzhens

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well Trellum, I am sure you remember my story about the young lady who was careless with allowing her dog to run wild and just breed, breed, breed. It's closer to home again and now another family member is stuck with some he can't afford to keep and yet wants to find the best home for. Again his dog went on the streets or by a neighbor and came home pregnant. I think it's because everybody is on a tight budget and they can't afford to have the dogs fixed.

I agree with the connections if you are you know what you are doing as a breeder, but then I stop and think there are so many dogs who need homes, the breeding should stop in a lot of cases.

Winterybella, Mar 13, 2016
  4. Corzhens

claudine Well-Known Member

To be honest, I had absolutely no idea that it's so difficult to sell puppies. I thought that there are many people who want to buy them, especially if they aren't very expensive.
    Either way, I would never do it. I simply can't imagine selling Homer's children to strangers.

claudine, Mar 19, 2016
  5. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

They should lower the price down in order to sell the puppies, especially if they want to find good homes for the puppies. What done is done, which shouldn't be done in the first place, but now they should concentrate on finding home for those puppies.

I wouldn't breed the dog to entertain children or even my own fancy!

IcyBC, Mar 19, 2016
  6. Corzhens

remnant Well-Known Member

I can't agree more. Dog breeding as a business will generally follow the principles of entrepreneurship. Any business should start with a good understanding of the market to establish whether there is a need to be fulfilled. Market research is necessary in order to target marketable breeds. A breeder can target a niche area like security or sniffer dogs.

remnant, Jul 15, 2016
  7. Corzhens

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well only yesterday a friend of the store came by and he was talking about going into breeding and already he's talking about all the request he's been getting for pups. I started to question him about if he knew what he was doing and he says he's done his research and is ready to get going with his 'job' of breeding. When I told him he needs to make sure he does it right and know who he's selling dogs to he told me whoever pays $800 for a pup will take care of it. I will speak about this in another thread. I have some serious concerns but I don't know if he's going to listen to me. His primary concern seems to all about the money.

Winterybella, Jul 15, 2016
Ask a Question