Bladder infections

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Winterybella, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

As humans we are told not to hold our urine for too long as it causes bladder problems. Recently, I got to wondering if the same would be true of my girls who are sometimes left at home for long hours. Then there is Zola who seems to be holding everything very long because she does not want to go outside.

I did a little reading and sure enough, they may be at risk of developing bladder problems if they hold their urine for too long. Have a read.

http://holistichealthypets.net/2013...-all-day-can-lead-to-serious-health-problems/

Winterybella, Jun 17, 2015
  2. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

This is a very informative and interesting article! My Homer lives with my sister and my parents, so he's never alone. Currently, I walk him four times a day. He spends the rest of the time in the garden, so he doesn't have to hold his urine for too long:)

claudine, Jun 18, 2015
  3. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Interesting read! Most of the things that are bad for us are also bad for our dogs. I think I did the same with Frida in the beginning, she wasn't very vocal about her needs, so that is why she looked so moody at night... like uncomfortable. Poor thing! I feel terrible :( I'm glad this didn't last too long. I started letting her in the yard all day long.

Trellum, Jun 19, 2015
  4. Winterybella

That is super cool that Homer gets to go for so many walks. I wish I could get back to CONSISTENTLY walking my girls. Ginger was reluctant but she's warming up to it these days. It's consistency that's my problem. When I was staying at home a lot recently, I payed a lot of attention to the urine situation and I think leaving them alone and calling them sweet for not wetting the patio might not be good for my babies at all. Thinking, thinking, thinking.

Winterybella, Jun 19, 2015
  5. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm lucky, I have a flexible working schedule, so I can walk Homer whenever he wants to go out:)
    Usually, my father walks him at 5 am, because they both get up very early. I arrive at my parents' house around 10 am and walk Homer at 10:30 am, 1 pm and 4 pm. Then I go home:)

claudine, Jun 19, 2015
  6. Winterybella

That's fantastic. My girls would love that. I am starting to feel bad about the way I have cut back on their walks. It was good for them and for me. They got out and about and I got some exercise. I have a flexible schedule but a complex live.

Winterybella, Jun 21, 2015
  7. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I am home with Capone on most days, and the longest time he has to be in his kennel is about 4-5 hours. I feel bad for dogs that have to hold their pee for 8-9 hours a day. It is just not right or normal.

That was a good read!

IcyBC, Aug 9, 2015
  8. Winterybella

Well I have been at home a lot recently. When that happens I don't have to worry about them holding their water for too long. I regulate things and sometimes they will tell me it's time to go. I shower them with praise when I watch them do their thing. Some things you don't give thought to until it's too late. I hope no major damage has been done where my girls are concerned.

Winterybella, Aug 9, 2015
Ask a Question