Birthdays

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by claudine, Feb 10, 2013.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Don't you think we should celebrate our dog's birthdays more often since they grow old faster than humans?:p

[​IMG]

claudine, Feb 10, 2013
    Becky likes this.
  2. claudine

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol!!

I think a lot of us don't celebrate the birthdays because we don't actually know when our dogs were born. We might know when we got them, but usually they've already spent at least 4-8 weeks with someone else first. And we may see it on paperwork what the official date they were born was, but we don't have that same sort of connection with birthing them ourselves (ok, that's a weird way to say it...sorry....).

Jessi, Feb 11, 2013
  3. claudine

Jessi, you are right:p . I never celebrate Homer's "real" birthday, I celebrate the day when I met him and when he became a part of the family, it was a very special moment for me. He was so tiny and not scared at all, he was running around the house, sniffing everything:p

claudine, Feb 12, 2013
  4. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

I recall my mom having this jubilant celebration on one of our dog's Gotcha day. Free kibble for all! And she would go to the butcher's shop and buy all the pig head bones and femur and give it to them.

All of them will have their own big juicy bone. I ended up tying the bones to a post because they kep on dragging them inside the house which would've reeked beef broth if I allowed them to do so.

haopee, Feb 13, 2013
  5. claudine

Jessi Well-Known Member

That is so awesome. I may have to steal the name, too...."Gotcha Day."

So did you mom invite other dogs over, too, or was it only for her dogs? I love that there was such a celebration!

Jessi, Feb 13, 2013
  6. claudine

This sounds like a great celebration, I'm sure all of the dogs were extremely happy with their gifts:D . This reminds me of one of Homer's birthdays when my mother bought him a pig ear. It smelled so badly and he insisted on carrying it everywhere with him, he even slept with it:eek: . Tying it to something outside the house would be a good idea - I wish we knew this back then.

claudine, Feb 13, 2013
  7. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

Oh no! We wouldn't go far as to invite other dogs... although some dogs in the neighborhood have self-invited themselves in.

Yes. The term Gotcha Day is often used in the blogosphere when you've adopted a pet and not know his or her birthday. We use it more often than the word birthday.

Well, you could always confine Homer inside a baby gate or the kitchen. Most of my friends would place a towel on areas that needed to be covered while they give their dogs treat to gobble on- especially when they wreak of beefy goodness.

haopee, Feb 15, 2013
  8. claudine

Homer wouldn't let me confine him, he would bark endlessly and it would be even worse than the smell. Also, I saw how extremely happy he was because of his treat, I wouldn't like to ruin it...so I had to suffer:p

claudine, Feb 15, 2013
  9. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

We do not know exactly how old our dog since he used to be a stray dog. We just remember the month we decided to adopt him. Lol

zararina, Feb 16, 2013
  10. claudine

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm quite involved in the blogosphere, but I suppose not with animal bloggers so much. I had never heard the term, but I love it now. To be fair, I'm not sure I know their official Gotcha Days either, though. ><

Jessi, Feb 16, 2013
  11. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

LOL. Unfortunately, moms should be strong and steadfast! So you might want to learn how to arm yourself with a deaf ear and a cold heart when it comes to Homer. :p

Good luck on being firm. Trust me, it's not easy but it's possible. You and Homer can get the best of both worlds.

Ah yes, pet bloggers have their own lingo. Different groups have different blogging jargon which is awesome because knowing them makes you feel that you belong to a group. I am sure you guys have your own special words. ;)

I don't know some of my pack member's official Gotcha Day either.

haopee, Mar 4, 2013
  12. claudine

I wish I was firmer - but I'm not, when it comes to Homer, I'm not firm at all. I just can't look at these big, begging eyes and say no or say no to this wagging tail. Today he made me throw cones for him and because of it I was late for my classes:eek:

claudine, Mar 4, 2013
  13. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

LOL. That's okay. I've been there and it drove me crazy because I couldn't manage my time either.

So let me encourage you again to become firmer. I am sure Homer would understand if you gave his life more structure. It'll certainly make you a happier and more fulfilled owner.

This morning I dropped by to check on Chooey because I couldn't play with her (since I am taking care of sick puppies) and she bowed a little while her big eyes were staring at me so I just had to toss her a toy and we played fetch.

haopee, Mar 8, 2013
  14. claudine

Oh no, your puppies are sick?:( I hope they'll feel better soon!
    It's a good thing dogs sometimes want to play only for a little while. Homer often gets bored after 5 minutes and then I have time for myself:p

claudine, Mar 8, 2013
Ask a Question