Beware of Your Backyard Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IcyBC, Jul 11, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

We have lots of rain this year for days on end, and after the rain the backyard mushroom sprouted up everywhere. There are different shapes and colors of mushrooms that I saw in my lawn, and they are BAD NEWS for dogs.

My dog happened to eat some, I believe, when I was not looking, and he threw up white stuffs for three days. I haven't change anything in his diet or do anything differently, so I have to say it is the mushrooms that he nipped at. Some articles online also confirmed my suspicion!

https://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-health/pets-poisonous-mushrooms/

IcyBC, Jul 11, 2015
  2. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I heard about those mushrooms! Do they happen to be very long ones? I have seen some of those in my neighbor's garden, I thought it looked like a little mushroom city. I was later told that little mushroom city was no good news for both animals and humans.

Trellum, Jul 14, 2015
  3. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

Thank you for the warning, IcyBC! There are some wild mushrooms in my parents' garden and in the park near their home, but Homer has never tried to eat them. I don't think he likes mushrooms.
    I hope your dog is feeling better now.

claudine, Jul 15, 2015
  4. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Yes, some of them are tall and white, while others are creamy with tops. They are all bad I have to assume and must removed from the lawn. My dog has to taste everything in his path :) He just won't learn his lesson.

IcyBC, Jul 15, 2015
  5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Lucking you! My dog is still rambunctious and just love to chow down on anything he sees. He is fed two times a day, and treats throughout but always acts as if he is starving. He even eats my chocolate mint leaves!

IcyBC, Jul 15, 2015
  6. IcyBC

Haha, sounds like he has a great appetite! How old is he?
    My Homer is fed 4 times a day, but he seems to always be hungry. Fortunately, he doesn't snack on weird things anymore. He used to do that only when he was a puppy.

claudine, Jul 15, 2015
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

He just turned one on June 8th, neutered, but there is no signed of him calming down yet! He has this jumping spring in his steps and acts like a teenager some time :) Capone is fun to have around though, and he is giving so much love too. My children said I spoiled him with too many toys but I can't help it.

IcyBC, Jul 16, 2015
  8. IcyBC

Capone is a cute name for a dog:) He's very young, it's natural that he wants to play. I'm sure he loves your family very much:)
    My Homer is much older, but he's still very energetic:)

claudine, Jul 16, 2015
  9. IcyBC

Oh, they sound like those mushrooms I was talking about, you did a good thing! Better be safe than sorry, they say. Specially if your furry friend is involved. I'm lucky my Frida is not really curious when it comes to herbs, but when she was a puppy she used to bite on my dad's chilly plants.

Trellum, Jul 18, 2015
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

The chilly plants that your dog ate is probably the greatest lesson for her not to munch on things:) I went out to buy some hot sauce that has very little smell and put on the mushrooms. Capone can smell the chilly sauce and stays away now.

IcyBC, Jul 25, 2015
  11. IcyBC

Lol!!!! That is such a nice and creative way to shoo capone away from those mushrooms, lol!!! I have yet to meet a dog who loves eating spicy sauce, lol. Well done :D I couldn't have come up with a better tip than that one.

Trellum, Jul 25, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  12. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Trellum you can use chilly sauce on almost anything to keep the dog away. He was chewing on the legs of my chair and table, so I rub the chilly sauce on them. He tasted it and quickly backed off. Now, the legs of chairs and tables are spare from his teeth.

IcyBC, Jul 26, 2015
  13. IcyBC

@Really? Do you still have to apply chili sauce to the legs of those chairs and table? Or no longer needed because now he links them to the chilli sauce and won't even there to ever try it again? LOL. I'm just curious, this is something I'd be so willing to try if I ev er get another dog once my girls dies.

Trellum, Jul 26, 2015
  14. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

No, he learned to leave all the legs alone :) The trick to get this to work is to fine the hottest sauce there is, with not so much smell to it. LOL, I am so evil! My friend told me to use bitter apple spray, which consists of vinegar, and so very expensive to buy. He licked off the vinegar and didn't mind it much. So my alternative one is hot sauce!

IcyBC, Jul 27, 2015
  15. IcyBC

@IcyBC LOL!!!! Oh my, he licked the vinegar??? What hot sauce do you use for this? ;) Is it an habanero one? Most of the hot sauces I have tried so far have a bit of smell, which one would you recommend? I'm mainly worried about it having a not so light smell.

Trellum, Jul 28, 2015
Ask a Question