Better to get a puppy or an older dog?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

Do you tend to adopt older dogs or bring home a puppy to your house for a pet? I have thoughts on both sides of this issue. I sometimes like the idea of a puppy since I have children and I can be sure to know the temperament of the dog. But on the other hand I think adoption is so wonderful because there are so many dogs needing good homes.
    I have in the past searched for adoptable dogs but many of them said they would not be good in homes with young children. So, that led me to going the route of finding a puppy. Now we happily have a 5 year old yellow lab and two Bernese Mt dogs that are three years old. We have had them since they were puppies.

jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013
  2. jowjo5

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dogs usually come from friends who cannot handle all their dog's puppies. Our latest dog was a stray dog and a maturing puppy when we decided to adopt.
    Personally, I prefer acquiring a puppy since as you said, you can be sure about the temperament of the dog. Also the trust between each other is more strong or proven. But still, older dogs are also good to adopt. ;)

zararina, Feb 15, 2013
  3. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

It's completely understandable why they don't want older dogs going into homes with young children. Not knowing the temperament, it becomes a risk, and they are more likely to end up with the dog right back in the shelter again, too, so they don't want to.

Maybe as your kids get older, you could adopt an older dog into your crew. :)

Jessi, Feb 15, 2013
  4. jowjo5

pafjlh Well-Known Member

The last two times I acquired a dog they were both puppies. To be honest it was anything but a pleasant experience. The bottom line is when you get a puppy you are getting a baby dog. Like any baby these will cry and throw tantrums at all hours of the night. Yes, when you get a puppy the dog becomes use to you and is more or less trained by you. But at the same token when you get an older dog you are pass the puppy baby stage where they will cry and keep you up most of the night. So there are definite arguments on both sides as to which one is right for you to do.

pafjlh, Feb 15, 2013
  5. jowjo5

claudine Well-Known Member

think it's easier with a puppy because he doesn't have his habits yet and you can train him rather easily. Also, puppies are so cute and cheerful. My mother once adopted an adult dog...and she ended up hiding in one room while the dog had the whole house for himself. Everybody was scared of him because he was aggressive and unpredictable. His previous owner "forgot" to mention it. My mother had to give this dog back after a few weeks.

claudine, Feb 18, 2013
  6. jowjo5

rdahl125 Member

I agree with most of what was said above -- you just need to choose based on your own situation. If you have a household with children and you're not ready to take the risk of a dog with a history, it's probably better to get a puppy that you can train and raise just like a child. However if you're ready for the challenge of acclimating a dog to a new environment, getting them used to you and your family and life, then adopting an older dog might be for you!

rdahl125, Mar 9, 2013
  7. jowjo5

haopee Well-Known Member

Puppy vs Older Dog

Choosing an Older Dog Benefits

1. Less energy required for play time.
    2. Great for people who love having a dog as company but don't have much time to bring them on playdates.
    3. Most old dogs don't require their new owners to start them with the basics in housetraining.
    4. You won't have to go through a puppies "series of shots" vet visit.
    5. Less tendency to be nippy. Pups have this phase.

Choosing a Puppy Benefits

1. Let's face it. Only a cold hearted person can turn their back from puppies.
    2. Health History. They're just beginning so no need to consider past histories except the ones coming from their parents.
    3. More energy, more fun?
    4. Behavior. With proper training and correction, your puppy can be the best dog in the world.

haopee, Mar 19, 2013
  8. jowjo5

trishgl Well-Known Member

If you have young children it is probably best to get a puppy. That way they can play a more active role in the development of your pet's temperament and it will be easier to set boundaries when the dog is still a puppy.

When we got our chow our youngest at the time was around 5 but he was small for his age. I was also pregnant so I was worried considering all you read about chows being a bit aggressive. When chacha arrived she was 3 months old and she liked nipping our son’s clothes and trying to drag him once she had his pant leg secured. We were concerned that this could potentially be harmful since chows grow to be heavy dogs and she might cause our son harm without meaning to.

We learned that you not only set boundaries for your pet but also for your kids and other members of the family for your dog to behave the way we need her to. This means being able to physically handle her or block her from going places she should not etc which would be challenging to a child if the dog were already fully grown.

trishgl, Apr 5, 2013
  9. jowjo5

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

I have no preferences as far as dogs are concerned. I love them both. Yes, I agree that with a puppy you will have more work to do. I have never adopted an old dog thou.... I think I need to try adopting one and see the differences for myself!

schizophreniatype, Apr 17, 2013
Ask a Question