Beneful is killing our dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by trinden, Mar 20, 2015.

1. trinden

trinden Active Member

trinden, Mar 20, 2015
  2. trinden

Trellum Well-Known Member

Jesus chris! Just to think so many people out there are feeding that to their beloved dogs! What I found even more scary were the comments of other people who says their dogs were also suffering from hair loss and other poison symptoms! What the heck is wrong with that company!!!

Trellum, Mar 21, 2015
  3. trinden

claudine Well-Known Member

This is shocking!:mad: I feel really angry now. How can anyone sell such dangerous product? Fortunately, I've never seen it in stores in my area. I guess it's not available here.

claudine, Mar 21, 2015
  4. trinden

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I see it here in our supermarkets a lot and when I travel to the US. I feel like I might have bought some before just to try it. I can't be too sure but I can see the packaging right in front my face. It's very catchy.

I will say this though, it feels like there is a lot going on with dog food, and my friend who believes in raw feeding swears she'll never buy her dogs chow.

A lot of the times, issues are swept under the rug. I was buying a chow locally produced and then a dog owner who's been in the business for a while told me the same company I was buying the food from had load of courts cases in connection with their products. Owners were holding them responsible for selling bad food. Truth or lie I changed food in a hurry.

Winterybella, Mar 23, 2015
  5. trinden

trinden Active Member

trinden, Mar 23, 2015
  6. trinden

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Very interesting read. What's your preference? A friend I met online has been preaching the raw food, but I've only tried it few times and not in any meaningful. I am still unsure about a lot of things and my dogs don't seem especially thrilled about it. At present it's mostly commercial. Recently I did a few treats and I can't say they are running me down for more: not that I would really know.

Winterybella, Mar 23, 2015
  7. trinden

trinden Active Member

I do a mixture of raw and commercial..to keep cost down. Since i read that article i started feeding them that brand that was mention..and they love it.I also give them the supplement and the vitamin and mineral that was mention and they seem to be doing just fine..I've not been to the vet in a long time,which is also saving me money.So i guess the food that they eat really makes a difference

trinden, Mar 23, 2015
  8. trinden

claudine Well-Known Member

That's great, Trinden:)
    Eating healthy is extremely important:) I always buy Homer food recommended by a veterinarian. It's expensive, but I'd much rather spend my money on it than buy something that may contain harmful substances.

claudine, Mar 23, 2015
  9. trinden

trinden Active Member

Well not really.Look at it this way.If your dog stays healthy by feeding him/her the right foods and supplements, think about all the money you will be saving by not taking them to the vet..and as you know,the vet is not cheap..especially if you have to take them on a regular basis

trinden, Mar 23, 2015
  10. trinden

digitalsatori Member

While I understand the initial anger, and I'm not defending Beneful immediately, but let's take a moment and consider this objectively.

Beneful has been around since 2001 and, at least according to Wikipedia, 'as of 2012, it was the fourth most popular dog food brand, generating more than $1.5 billion in annual revenues'. I am hard-pressed to instantly believe a brand this popular is inherently evil and is set out to kill our dogs. From a completely pragmatic viewpoint, killing their customers is bad for business.

The wording on this is terrible. Okay, so mycotoxins are not an ingredient; grains are. You know, like those found in bread. Or rice. Or pasta. So, Beneful is deliberately using moldy grains? Because the grains they use are ONLY for their dog food?

From Wikipedia: propylene glycol was classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive, including frozen foods such as ice cream and frozen desserts.

They're confusing it with ethylene glycol, which is the stuff in antifreeze that will kill your dog. This was is just blatantly false.

So this happened the same day, and the second dog got sick within a week. Which, most likely, was from the same bag of dog food. There are any number of possibilities that are more likely than Beneful deliberately, or through negligence, poisoning their dog food

I am so very sorry for their loss, truly I am. Losing a pet is losing a part of you, a part of your life. The *decent* thing to do, from Beneful's standpoint, would have been to pay for his medical expenses, but they aren't under any obligation to do so in my mind. There's no telling if the mold came from the grains, from a tear during transport, from the store, or from how the bag was stored. There are so many variables that I can't instantly blame the company for this, though it would be so easy to do - they are a nameless, faceless organization and here we have a dog owner that we can personally identify and empathize with.

My deepest condolences for this family's loss. It is deep and so very real. But it is important that, when looking for monsters, we do not become monsters ourselves.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    digitalsatori, Mar 24, 2015
  11. trinden

trinden Active Member

I totally agree with you...but this has been going on for yrs..this is just the first time it has been this public.I have a lot of people tell me,that this dog food made their pet sick..even before this story broke

trinden, Mar 24, 2015
  12. trinden

wahmed Active Member

This is actually really angering. How can people sell stuff they know is harmful to the consumers. Some sort of action should be taken

wahmed, Mar 25, 2015
  13. trinden

trinden Active Member

i agree..

trinden, Mar 25, 2015
Ask a Question