Benefits of Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by IcyBC, Aug 14, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I am always trying to stay on the natural side of things when it comes to taking care of both dog and human. Last year, my sister introduced me to coconut oil, but we found out the hard way: I am super allergic to it! My skin broke out like I had zits.

I still have a big jar of Organic Coconut Oil, and now it is going to Capone after I read this article:

www.dogster.com/lifestyle/ten-reasons-to-add-coconut-oil-to-your-dogs-diet

Do you add any healthy oil to your dog's diet?

IcyBC, Aug 14, 2015
  2. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well to think I would come and see this here fresh after watching some videos about it on YouTube supporting most of what is mentioned in the link you provided. I was searching for natural remedies for fleas and somewhere along the line I stumbled on this video about how coconut oil was for the skin etc. I guess I have to pick up a bottle when next I am out. I have not even been using the pet oil I had bought. It started to look old and I was not sure what to do as it does not have an expiry date. I think my girls need some more moisture in the skin.

Winterybella, Aug 14, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have just added coconut oil to Capone's food, and he loves it! I am hoping his skin won't be so dry and that the shedding will be minimal since I also switched him to salmon and brown rice from Purina Pro Plan series.

As for flea, try using vinegar! I think I tagged you in a post about how to make flea shampoo. Here is the thread: http://www.dog-forums.com/threads/the-only-thing-worse.3023/

IcyBC, Aug 15, 2015
  4. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

I have never tried giving coconut oil to my frida, I mean, I don't even use it at home for cooking, because it's so darn expensive! But once things get better I might include it in our diet. I've heard people use it for all sorts of things, and it's so healthy to cook with it.

Trellum, Aug 15, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

The coconut oil is very expensive indeed, especially the organic one. Since my sister gave me a big jar, and I am allergic to it; I found a reason to use it for Capone. He loves it so far, and I am wondering if I should order this once this jar is done. Money, money, money :)

IcyBC, Aug 16, 2015
  6. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

I completely get you... I hate taking this kind of decisions, but money is so hard to come by. But if your are seeing some benefits on your boy's skin and health in general thanks to this oil, then I think it's really worth it. I've heard some people get the most beautiful skin and hair while consuming this oil. But after reading what happened to you... I hope we don't get that same effect!

Trellum, Aug 16, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. IcyBC

Oh Jesus. Since you mentioned the coconut oil and I have been reading about it on the net I decided to have my son pick up a bottle when he was out. When he told me the price I told him ease off until I decide what I am going to do. It was terribly expensive. He did not check the size so tomorrow I am going to make it my business to check everything myself. I've been meaning to buy some for my cooking but omg: the expense. Still if it really works I'll make the sacrifice for my babies.

Winterybella, Aug 16, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I don't know if you can order the coconut oil from Amazon, but I think the price is decent on there. Don't worry about the EXTRA VIRGIN, as there is no such thing! They use it those words to sell products and it works great for them.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organi...sim_325_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0H7MSBYRYCT5PPDQF0K4

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Certif...sim_325_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0H7MSBYRYCT5PPDQF0K4

These two are currently on my wish list, and once we run out, I might consider one of this!

IcyBC, Aug 17, 2015
  9. IcyBC

Thanks IcyBC. I will compare prices and make a decision. If it's as good as preached, I am going to get some for the girls. The up side is that I can use it in cooking if it doesn't work for them.

Winterybella, Aug 17, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

I sometimes use coconut oil on my hair. It's a great conditioner! I had no idea you can feed it to dogs. My Homer isn't picky, I think he'll like it:)
    Thank you for the tip.

claudine, Aug 28, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  11. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I added a little coconut oil to Capone's food bowl, and I used it as a rinse for my mouth too. As long as I don't eat it, I am fine with it.

IcyBC, Oct 18, 2015
  12. IcyBC

KimmyMarkks Active Member

This is an interesting article. I know that coconut oil is great for the skin but wouldn't have thought to give it to my dog. My parents growing up would give codliver oil to our animals. They believed it helped their heart and coats. I guess it is a similar product.

KimmyMarkks, Jan 3, 2016
  13. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone loves a teaspoon of coconut oil in his food every day and everyone who pets him have asked how I kept his fur so soft. My sister rubs coconut oil on her heels and whenever Capone is around, he always licked them cleaned :)

IcyBC, Jan 10, 2016
Ask a Question