Becoming your dog's pack leader

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by shdws, Feb 4, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Dogs have a pack mentality and we need to fully understand that for the benefit our furry friend and ours. I have used a few of the following tactics and have worked great to strengthen my relationship with my dog. Here's a short list of what a pack leader role looks like.

What A Dog Pack Leader Role Looks Like:

A pack leader. . .
    • Decides where the pack will go.
    • Decides when the pack will eat.
    • Decides who gets what food.
    • Decides when the pack is allowed to play.
    • Decides what the pack is allowed to play with.
    • Decides when they are to sleep.
    • Decides who is allowed to bark and when.
    • Decides how other members of the pack must behave.
    • Decides who owns what.
    • Always walks in the front of the pack.
    • Can take anything away from any member of the pack and claim it as his own without an altercation.
    • Never says he's sorry.
    Odd as this may seem to humans, the rest of the pack are never resentful of how all this works.
    In fact, all this is normal to them, because as I said before,they are hardwired with this pack instinct.

You can read the entire article here: http://www.love-my-puppy-dog.com/dog-pack-leader.html

shdws, Feb 4, 2013
  2. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

LOL. It is. That's because dogs aren't manipulative or malicious. They don't have evil intentions like humans do so pack members follow knowing that their welfare is the pack leader's utmost priority.

Only in cartoons do we see conniving pack leaders like the Doberman in Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure.

haopee, Feb 6, 2013
  3. shdws

pafjlh Well-Known Member

This article does make sense to me. I think that my brother is already viewed as the pack leader by my two dogs Buddy and Oso. These two will always jump to attention when he tells them to do something.

There was one incident in particular what Oso got up on the couch in the living room. I kept telling him to get down and trying to get this large dog off the furniture but he wouldn't budge. My brother comes into the room, says get down once, and Oso jumps off the couch. Buddy and Oso are having one of their infamous fight, I tell them to stop, they won't, my brother comes along tells them to stop once, they both stop. Yeah, they definitely view him as their pack leader.

pafjlh, Feb 6, 2013
  4. shdws

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is a dog pack leader, he definitely is. I only decide when he gets the food and what kind of food he gets - but that's all, the rest is up to him. I guess we should make some changes. Thank you for sharing this article, it's really something I should think about.

claudine, Feb 6, 2013
  5. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Lol yeah that's true. They don't think of having a leader as a power thing, just a necessary means. And yes the dog's in cartoons are always power hungry lol.

shdws, Feb 6, 2013
  6. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

And that's the lighter more child-friendly cartoon. I once watched a film titled Felidae and I was scarred for life. It's about a cat... a very intelligent and "sleuthy" one. He played detective in an investigation about other cats getting gruesomely murdered. Seriously, the ending was too weird to forget.

You should drop by Youtube and watch it too. LOL.

haopee, Feb 11, 2013
  7. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting lol. Do you have a link where I can find it on Youtube?

shdws, Feb 12, 2013
  8. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

Imagine having watched this thinking it was like Oliver and the Company or Lady and the Tramp at 8 or 9 years of age.

I watched it again in my early 20s and it's quite interesting. The narrator, Francis, does talk like a smart cat. You might like watching it to the end. That's the first part there.

haopee, Feb 13, 2013
  9. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

LOL wow! This is definitely not for kids. But I sure want to watch the rest now!

shdws, Feb 13, 2013
Ask a Question