Beautiful Memorial to Fire Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Arson dogs will be honored this month in Washington, D.C. A bronze statue depicting a firefighter and his dog will be unveiled June 28th. The statue is 7 feet tall. It weighs 450 lbs.

The artist is Austin Weieshel who is a firefighter in Colorado. The National Fire Dog Monument is titled "From Ashes to Answers". The dog in the sculpture is based on Sadie, the Arson Dog, who won the 2011 Hero Dog Award.

I think it's a beautiful tribute. We don't fully appreciate these animals do vital work that aids humans. This video shows Sadie and the hard work she has done.

Here is a closeup of the monument:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/102046546245154428540/Monument?feat=flashslideshow#5699944635193137522

More information on the monument:
    http://ohsonline.com/articles/2012/...ment-heading-to-washington.aspx?admgarea=news

Melody, Jun 26, 2012
  2. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

It's makes me feel good inside every time I see dogs being appreciated for their service to mankind. If only mankind would reward dogs in this way more often.

Victor Leigh, Jun 27, 2012
  3. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the news with us Melody :D. I agree with Victor Leigh it's always nice to see canine heros being recognized in the media as well as in communities. I agree, so often we take for granted the effort and sometimes sacrifices dogs and animals in general make for the good of humans.

tajnz, Jun 27, 2012
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

That story/news makes me remember the movie I had watched before entitled The Firehouse Dog. Which is a very good movie and right that it is good to know that they will be given the proper recognition for their services and hard work.

zararina, Jun 27, 2012
  5. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

While we are on the topic of memorials to canine heroes, here's another one:
    [​IMG]

This one is in honor of Balto, the lead dog of a sled team which brought desperately-needed diptheria antitoxin across barren artic winterscape to the epidemic-sticken township of Nome. More information here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balto

Victor Leigh, Jun 28, 2012
Ask a Question