Be Cautious

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Kim, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Kim

Kim New Member

It is really important to be cautious what you feed your pet. Your dog's digestive system is not like a humans and cannot digest the same things that a human can. Foods like onions, grapes, chocolate, sugar, artificial sweeteners, raisins and many more can harm and even cause death to your beloved pet. Be careful the foods you choose to feed your dog. Do your research and if you question it, do not take a chance. Your dog cannot tell you it is in pain and it is likely your pet could be suffering and you never know. A fellow forum writer reported that he used "cheap" dog food for his dog. Be aware that just because it is pet food technically does not mean that it is safe. Some of the so-called "cheap" dog foods are high in fat and oils which can be very unhealthy for your dog as well. If you are an animal lover, spare the extra cash and give him/her the best life possible. Remember, they depend on you for their livelihood.

Healthy people food:
    White rice
    Boiled Chicken (no bone)
    Pumpkin (helps for diarrhea/ constipation)
    Bananas

Avoid:
    Grapes
    Raisins
    Onions
    Peach Pits (Pits in peaches, apples, etc contain cyanide).
    Chocolate
    Chicken Bones of any kind

Kim, Jan 17, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  2. Kim

claudine Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this. My Homer likes raisins but he won't get any more of them if they're unhealthy for him. He loves boiled chicken and pumpkin so it's good to hear they're right choices:D . Unfortunately he hates bananas:(

claudine, Feb 3, 2013
  3. Kim

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Feb 4, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  4. Kim

claudine Well-Known Member

Oh...no more raisins for him then:( . Thank you for sharing this link, Jessi, I found so many information there. Homer for sure won't be happy when he'll notice I don't share my raisins with him:(

claudine, Feb 4, 2013
  5. Kim

shdws Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at the number of people that I know who are not aware that chicken bones are dangerous for dogs to eat. I try to inform as many people as possible about the danger. This list gives me more ammunition lol.

shdws, Feb 6, 2013
  6. Kim

Nick87 Well-Known Member

It's good that you posted this. I never knew dogs couldn't eat grapes and raisins, though I would have assumed my dogs wouldn't like them.

Nick87, Feb 9, 2013
  7. Kim

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Thank you for this information, its good to know about some of these things. I have heard about chocolate and I know not to let my dogs have this sweet at any time. However, I wasn't aware that raisins and grapes were bad for dogs. Not that anyone around my house eats raisins, in fact, I can't eat them because they tend to make me sick as well. However, we do like to eat grapes and on occasion have given a few to our dogs, not too many though. Fortunately they haven't had any adverse effects from them. Also didn't know about onions, although I would never think to feed these to my dogs, for me this vegetable is more of a condiment that accentuates food. As for Chicken bones I know all too well that these shouldn't be given to dogs under any circumstances, I had a dog that almost choked on one, so now we are careful about any of the bones we give our dogs.

pafjlh, Feb 17, 2013
  8. Kim

zararina Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. ;)
    Nice to see the white rice in the list since we often feed them rice together with local dishes.

zararina, Feb 18, 2013
Ask a Question