Be aware of kidney stones

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Corzhens, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Dogs are susceptible to kidney stones. In fact, our first 2 dogs died of kidney problems. Now we are very careful with salty foods. Although we feed our dogs with cooked food, we are very careful not to put any kind of seasoning. Their food is just boiled meat or boiled fish and sometimes fried food but plain only. And one thing that is good for the kidneys of the dogs is to force them to drink. We use a syringe to force our dogs to drink because it is the habit of dogs not to drink unless they are very thirsty. For a small dog like a pekingese, we make it a point to make them ingest at least 2 glasses of water in a day.

Corzhens, Aug 16, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I was thinking of bladder infection most of the time by making the dogs wait too long. Since I am mostly home with my dog, he has plenty of water to drink, and he makes sure to tell me that he needs water by rattling his water bowl and stands there to wait for me to fill it up :) Quite a boss, I tell you, LOL..

IcyBC, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Corzhens

Cheezy Member

Ahahaha! I like it when dogs boss me around. :) I always pay very close attention to my dogs' diet because they don't really tolerate a lot of food that humans and cats can consume freely. I perfectly understand why many pet owners would rather feed their pets with high quality dog foods that contain essential nutrients that dog needs. We cook our dogs' foods though, and we're very careful about not giving it too much flavor or seasoning.

Cheezy, Aug 17, 2016
  4. Corzhens

remnant Well-Known Member

An oft ignored fact is that dog's kidneys are structurally similar to ours and we should watch their diet for them. Its a fact that most people don't seem to know that feeding the dogs excessively on roast meat can result in the formation of uric acid which precipitates in the form of kidney stones. All the more reason to closely be on the lookout for the symptoms of pain in dogs since they can't communicate their own suffering.

remnant, Aug 17, 2016
Ask a Question