Bathing time

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by zararina, Nov 30, 2011.

1. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

Dog owners could knew that bathing time could be not too easy specially if your pet is resistant to take a bath. When it is bath time for our dog, there are times that he was hiding under the bed and it will take time before I could get him out of it. But when starting to pour him water, he will behave but I would need to do it fast or they start trying to escape.[​IMG]

Generally, dog's bath time for me is a fun thing to do since it was one of our bonding time and I feel so good seeing them fresh and clean.

zararina, Nov 30, 2011
  2. zararina

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I agree with you, bath time is a special time for our dogs. Even though sometimes they do not like getting at bath at first, once they are in the bath and getting out... they loved it!

wahcashmom, Dec 1, 2011
  3. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

I’ve no problem with my old dogs. The teenage ones are actually the pain in the neck. See, we have another two mongrel dogs, one thick-furred (uncle’s buddy), the other crop-furred (bro’s buddy). And you have to pull them to the bathing area painstakingly and they needed to be bonded by chain or rope not to be able to run from you. They will wag themselves repeatedly whenever they get wet that after bathing them it’s like you also wash yourselves with them.
    I love rubbing their bubbly body. Their body is so soft and the belly area so smooth but they hate it when I wash their face. And, well, it's lovely to snuggle them after bathing. They feel so good and look so fresh. But not when they escaped from my embrace and scratch themselves to the sandy ground after bathing. The bathing then becomes pointless because they get themselves dirty again *exasperated*. See, they really feel itchy after wash. It must be the soap drying their skin or the freeloader’s leaving a spot for scuffing.

King Browny, Dec 1, 2011
  4. zararina

BeachHut Active Member

Yeah, my dogs hate bath time too. :D One of them would normally lie on the floor and wouldn't get up when she knows I'm gonna bathe her.While the other two run away when they see me holding their towels because they know it's bath time. :D

BeachHut, Dec 1, 2011
    King Browny likes this.
  5. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I had a Bangkeaw.

It's one of the two Thai registered dog breeds, the other being the Thai Ridgeback. The Bangkeaw originally lived on raft houses, so the love of water is ingrained in their psyches. Candy, my Bangkeaw, can spend the whole day immersed in a tub of water with her head resting on the edge. Asleep.

So bath time is fun time. No problem with that.

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
  6. zararina

Katlyn New Member

My dog is generally ok with getting a bath. I can't say that he loves it, but I am able to get him clean without much fuss.

He seems to know when it is bath time. I have no idea how since I run the water first before he even enters the bathroom. After running the water, I put him in the tub. In my experience, it seems that running water tends to scare a dog so I try to avoid that until it's time to rinse.

I gently hold on to his collar so that he won't get out. I put the shampoo on and rub it in all over. He seems to like that pretty well. Then it's time to rinse. I use a cup and pour clean water over him until all the shampoo is rinsed out. I always have a towel ready to dry him off. Then he goes back to his room and runs around and rolls. Not sure what that is about, but at least by this time he is very clean. :)

Katlyn, Dec 1, 2011
  7. zararina

NeilPearson Member

With 3 dogs, I found it easier to just throw the 3 of them in the shower with me. The shower is enclosed with glass doors... that way they can't escape :)

NeilPearson, Dec 2, 2011
  8. zararina

PuppyChow Well-Known Member

My dog is the same exact way. When its time to get in the bath I put his favorite shampp on. I close the glass doors and leave enough room for my arm to reach the showerhead. And I have assistance from my boyfriend to massage him while i work the showerhead. It is definitely a challenge but i love the way he smells when he gets out. For some odd reason he sprints around the house, up and back down the stairs extremely fast after every bath. I love him!

PuppyChow, Dec 2, 2011
  9. zararina

I thinks he's trying to get dry faster. My Bangkeaw would look for a rug on the floor to rub herself dry. So after a bath, I usually obliged by putting a thick towel on the floor for her.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2011
  10. zararina

Great Idea.! Ill start to do the same. He runs right by me so i just let him go!

PuppyChow, Dec 2, 2011
  11. zararina

In that case, what you can do is to put the drying towel on the floor first before you bath your dog. So when you have finished bathing your dog, it can go directly to dry itself, so to say.

Victor Leigh, Dec 3, 2011
  12. zararina

I will definietly try that. I have to try and get him in my arms. If i dont he will run right by me. He will shake
    all of the water on me. But I will definitely try that. Hes not a big dog but he is very energetic.

PuppyChow, Dec 3, 2011
  13. zararina

aimend13 Active Member

I have a 60 lb white and grey pit bull, so bath time is definitely a struggle. I normally have to trick her into the bathroom with food somehow, we have a whole box of granola bars just for her for this purpose. She shakes and gives me pitiful doggy eyes the whole time and when I sternly tell her no every time she tries to get out of the tub, she starts licking my arm. It's a struggle, but sometimes I just have to laugh at her.

However, after her bath? My dog is crazy happy! She starts prancing around the house and she wants everybody to pet her. It's like she knows she's clean and everybody is more likely to give attention, pet her, and tell her how pretty she is. Then she makes a beeline for her bed and rubs her face into it or rolls around a bit. It's pretty hilarious.

aimend13, Dec 6, 2011
  14. zararina

Oh yes, contrary to what we may think, dogs do know when they are clean.

It's just that they can manage even when they are dirty. Some dogs, when brought up living cleanly all the time, are very fussy about dirt. I remember having a spitz mix that just wouldn't walk on the bare earth. She would pick her way from clump of grass to clump of grass when she goes outside to do her thing.

Victor Leigh, Dec 7, 2011
  15. zararina

That reminds me, dogs don’t like the wet ground. I remember Shakira could stand a day or two not going outside to pee or defecate just because she don’t like to step on the wet ground; and also under the rainy weather.

King Browny, Dec 29, 2011
  16. zararina

Shawn Active Member

My dog is an outside dog at this time. I give him a bath a few times a year but he gets filthy all over again. Haha. When we lived out in the country, I let him run loose a lot. He would come home drenched by a skunk and I would have to bath him all the time, haha, I was forced to chain him up when I let him out :p

To bath him, I just chain him up and spray him with the water hose lol. Its the only way because he is big and strong and wont allow me to do the bathtub method haha.

Shawn, Dec 29, 2011
  17. zararina

Drenched by a skunk! (Taking it literally) Now, that smells foul. :confused: How can you rid of the smell?

King Browny, Dec 30, 2011
  18. zararina

A friend solved that bathtub problem by bathing his dog in a pond. So both the dog and the owner get a bath at the same time.

Victor Leigh, Dec 31, 2011
  19. zararina

amy005 Well-Known Member

We've been giving our dog baths since we first brought him home so he doesn't mind bath time. I even bought special shampoo for him since he has very dry skin. It is oatmeal scented and completely natural. So I know that he is getting clean and it is helping his skin.

amy005, Jan 1, 2012
  20. zararina

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs do that, too. They cower when they know they're about to get bathed, but then while they're getting bathed they'll behave even though you can tell they don't like it. They get treats after baths though when they behave well, so that always makes them feel a bit better.

Nick87, Jan 21, 2012
Ask a Question