Barking Rescue Dog

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Dani72, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

I'm thinking of adopting a 6 year old German Shepherd from a rescue centre.

Before going into the shelter the dog was neglected and left chained up for months on end. When he came into the shelter he barked continuously. He has calmed down quite a bit, but is still very vocal when he wants something and sometimes for no obvious reason.

In fairness to my neighbours, I won't take him unless I have a good chance of eliminating the excess barking. I'm wondering just how entrenched this barking habit is and whether I am likely to succeed in getting him to stop. What do you think?

Dani72, Dec 17, 2012
  2. Dani72

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Sadly this is not the answer as it will depend on the breed of dog, his surroundings, how deep his emotional scars go, but I also feel that with patience on your part, this will make a great dog. My Bobbi was abused & since I adopted her last March, I have shown her only love, but I see every now & then, she flinches if I move too fast or when I reach to dry her feet after a walk in the rain or wet grass, she rolls over in submission so I keep reassuring her so she knows I am not her former owner.

I truly feel this dog, in a normal home & yard setting, will turn out fine. With continuous love, shelter, food & water, & so important, the interaction, he should do very well. Remember, while he is safe, a shelter life is still not the best life for them & being a larger breed, he may also not get a lot of exercise. I don't know all the dynamics of him being sheltered, nor his past of course, but it's amazing what love can do for our furry friends.

I wish you the best Dani !

SweetBeast, Dec 18, 2012
  3. Dani72

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes it may or will require lots of patience in your part. An expert dog trainer might help the dog improved his behavior. And I agree that showing the right love and care are of big help.

zararina, Dec 18, 2012
  4. Dani72

tajnz Well-Known Member

I think the key to rehabilitating your new member of your family is to find a dog trainer who you work well with. I really believe that the right dog trainer will be able to help you train your new addition. Patience is key. Once your dog trusts you he'll be more recepetive. Best of luck! :)

tajnz, Dec 23, 2012
  5. Dani72

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Any updates forthcoming on this issue, Dani? I am anxious to hear if you have made any decisions in this. Busy time of year I know!

SweetBeast, Jan 5, 2013
  6. Dani72

shdws Well-Known Member

I agree with what others have posted, it depends on the breed and it may take an expert trainer to help him overcome this behavior. What did you decide to do?

shdws, Jan 8, 2013
  7. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

So far I haven't had a chance to do anything. The dogs that I'm fostering for the refuge are still with me and while I have them, I can't take on another.
    Rey is still in the refuge. He is reasonable happy there, but it isn't the right environment for him at all as he gets nowhere near enough exercise or stimulation.
    I've featured him on the refuge website as Dog of the Month, but sadly, no takers for him yet.

Dani72, Jan 13, 2013
Ask a Question