Barking Control

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Shawn, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Shawn

Shawn Active Member

Hey all,

When I first got my dog, I lived out in the country where I didn't have neighbors. Now I still live in the country but in town where there are others living around me close by. My dog barks at everything including the wind blowing leaves around, lol.

I am looking for advice on making him NOT bark so much. I was suggested a shock collar but I don't want to hurt my little buddy, it there less painful ways I can achieve such a goal? I just want him to quit barking so much. Haha.

Shawn, Nov 27, 2011
  2. Shawn

zararina Well-Known Member

I would not agree on using shock collar as bark control cause that would really hurt our doggies.
    Our dog just bark a lot when someone is coming specially if its a stranger in our house and if there would be another dog passing in our gate.
    In terms of strangers, he had learned to stop barking the moment we already comes out and check who is coming over. He had learned that since we command him to stop every time it happens.
    And in terms of other dog passing in our gate, we will just let him go inside to avoid seeing those other dogs since he does not seems to listen to us when we said stop barking on it.
    Maybe try to command him (show him you are angry about his barking) to stop often when he does barking on something. Or make him get use to it so that it will become just common to him. Just like when we do not have cat before, he used to bark at any cat he would see roaming around. But when we have a cat already, a cat seems to be a common sight for him already. Lol

zararina, Nov 30, 2011
  3. Shawn

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

No I would never use a shock collar. I would try and give your dog treats while he is being good and not barking. When he is barking, show him the treat but do not give him the treat. He will start to notice that when he is good and not barking he gets a treat, but when he is barking he don't get the treat. Talk with you dog, tell him not to bark. Pets can understand us even if some people do not think so. Hope this helps, it worked for me. Just remember it does take time, so give him a little time to learn and he will stop barking so much.

wahcashmom, Dec 1, 2011
  4. Shawn

King Browny Well-Known Member

It’s their nature to bark when they feel like it. But normally dogs would bark if there are presence of strangers be it human or other animals. They just hate trespassers. But if they would bark even with moving things, say, that’s a tough one, Shawn. Your dog seemed to be too active and playful. :D But I’m sure he’ll listen when you bark at him to stop. Or does he?

King Browny, Dec 1, 2011
  5. Shawn

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I had a friend who was a dog trainer. He specialized in training Dobermanns.

He told me Dobermanns could be trained not to bark. What he did was use a soft strip of cloth to tie the muzzle for a couple of hours at night which was the time that Dobermanns liked to bark and howl. After some time, the dog would get the idea that barking and howling is not acceptable behavior.

Maybe that's how Dobermanns got their reputation as silent killers. Not a sound. Just a savage lunge at the throat of the intruder. One swift bite and the game is over.

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
    King Browny likes this.
  6. Shawn

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice, I did not know that about Dobermans.
    I have a doberman before and she have such behavior to attack trespassers silently (I did not train her for that). She would bark at first on someone in the gate and then will silently observe that person and surely to be bitten when it attempts to enter without permission and without our presence. :p

zararina, Dec 1, 2011
  7. Shawn

The Dobermann, from what I learned about the breed, was originally bred to be a personal body guard dog for a tax collector. It has a few strains in its lineage including the Rottweiler.

The Dobermann is a one-man dog. Other dogs usually exhibit pack behavior by accepting the whole family of the owner as part of its pack, so to say. The Dobermann cares for one and only one person, that is, its owner. I have heard of a Dobermann who attacked its owner's son because its owner shouted at his son. The Dobermann thought that the son was a threat to its owner.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2011
  8. Shawn

Katlyn New Member

I don't like the idea of a shock collar either. I found a way to control my dog's barking (for the most part :D) and I wasn't even trying at the time.

I had a spray bottle full of water nearby. I often use it to mist myself in the summer to cool off. For whatever reason, my dog quit barking when he saw the bottle. I didn't even spray him. Now when he gets out of hand with barking, I just show him the bottle. I rarely have to spray the water unless he sees something outside that is really irritating him. I know cats hate to be sprayed with water and some people use it as a technique to keep them off of furniture. But, I'd never seen a dog respond like this. My dog was a stray so I have no idea what his background is with spray bottles. I just know it's been an effective, safe and painless method.

Katlyn, Dec 2, 2011
  9. Shawn

amy005 Well-Known Member

There is something called a "thunder shirt" that is supposed to help but I have not heard of any one actually using it and getting good results. My dog is also really bad about this. He especially barks when people he has not met before come over to the house. Or even people he has not seen for a while or very often. It is very frustrating because I am scared he will bite someone. He is a small dog but his bite will still hurt. I usually have to lock him in a room when anyone that he is not that familiar with is here. I hate doing this though because he of course gets even more angry at this point and barks even more.

amy005, Dec 2, 2011
  10. Shawn

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Get your dog used to having people around. Take him for walks a lot where there are people (but not too big of crowds and not people too close by). Eventually he'll decrease his barking at every little noise once he gets used to it.

Nick87, Dec 2, 2011
  11. Shawn

Some dogs also bark because they are short-sighted. The Miniature Pinscher , for example, barks at the slightest noise. This is not because it's small dog. Its because it's a bit short-sighted. Still it makes a good watch dog.

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Dec 3, 2011
  12. Shawn

PuppyChow Well-Known Member

Wow I didnt know that! Ive always wanted one but no I am afraid.
    I would ment to muzzle my dog. I do agree that it is in their nature
    to bark, birds chirp. Giving him treats is a good idea as well. My dog
    only barks at stangers, the mailman when he first met him, and at leaves.
    Oh and by the way please dont use the shock collar.

PuppyChow, Dec 3, 2011
    CHINTUMIYA likes this.
  13. Shawn

You want a Dobermann?

You must do some serious thinking before you get one. It's bred to be a personal bodyguard. Great for lonely old men like me who live alone. Not a good idea if you like with many people. For a family, it's hard to beat a Golden Retriever. If you don't want the hassle of having dog hair all over the place, then get a Lab.

Of course, if you like to take long walks alone in the dark in deserted places, you can't go wrong with a Dobermann.

Victor Leigh, Dec 7, 2011
    CHINTUMIYA likes this.
Ask a Question