Bandit: The Dog with a Bald Behind.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Lex, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Lex

Lex Active Member

AKA: My dog has bitten all the fur off his bottom and I'm not sure how to make him stop.

My dogs have always had a bit of a flea problem, but it has never been so severe. They've all been treated with flea medication, and none of the other dogs have continued to have problems. Bandit, however, has been itching so awfully that he's lost nearly all of the fur on his butt/tail. We're considering getting him a cone, but aside from that, I'm not sure what else we could do. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

(I should also mention, perhaps, that he came from Columbia, Missouri and we now live in Georgia. I'm not sure if that would have any bearing on this, or not.)

Lex, Jan 14, 2013
  2. Lex

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I had a dog who had a similar problem. It turned out he actually had a skin allergy and it was caused by fleas. The Vet prescribed for him a lotion to help combat the problem. However, one of the issues we had was he still would bit on his fur so he was removing the lotion. We were concerned that this could be harmful for him. We then got the idea of using Aloe Vera Gel to help the problem. Now keep in mind when I say Aloe Vera Gel I mean in its most natural form, not the kind that is commonly bought in grocery stores, this kind has alcohol in it which can burn and can also be harmful to your dog. The best way to get natural Aloe Vera besides the actual cactus plant is online. There are stores that sell Aloe Vera Gel in its purest form with no preservatives such as alcohol included. The Aloe Vera did help our dog to heal, so I can recommend it.

pafjlh, Jan 14, 2013
  3. Lex

shdws Well-Known Member

Very informative and helpful. I have the same problem with my dog that Lex does with theirs. My dog isn't as severely bald, but he does have a few very small patches where he bites. I will give this remedy a try.

shdws, Jan 15, 2013
  4. Lex

Lex Active Member

I will keep all of this in mind, pafjlh. Thanks for the information! We're planning on taking him to the vet, as soon as my mother gets paid again. It seems to be all that we can do, at the moment. If anything changes, I will be sure to let everyone know!

Lex, Jan 17, 2013
Ask a Question