Bad Reasons to Get a Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Before owning or getting a dog, it is important that you should know why you want one. It is also important to remember that a dog is a big responsibility. I'm not saying it doesn't have its perks. Loyalty, companionship and unconditional love with the occasional laughter and smiles is something a dog can give (cost = priceless).

1. Just for protection. Although some dogs have been bred to do such purpose, a novice owner assuming that a dog will attack intruders automatically because "it's in their blood" is just plain wrong. Unless the owner/ trainer is knowledgeable on dog behavior, training and proper handling (especially of dominant dogs), one should consider alarm systems, and other non-organic security measures first.

Although this isn't entirely true for dogs in the Philippines. One of the most widely used names for dogs here was "Bantay" which means guard. They are quite reliable when barking at strangers. Unfortunately, they can also bark at visitors and treat them aggressively.

2. Because the breed looked cool. Emphasis on the word "look". This is one of the most petty inevitable excuses one could use to get a dog. As most articles online would say, do your research well and choose the dog suitable for your lifestyle.

3. For my kids. That's unless you're willing to take full responsibility of taking care of the dog. Although children can be taught to do the walks, bathing and even feeding. There are other aspects in taking care of dogs that one should consider, such as medical bills, other expenses, house training and keeping that darn schedule for pottying!

4. Breeding simply for monetary gain. Breeding shouldn't be taken lightly. A responsible breeder knows that their responsibility doesn't just end once the puppies are released to new owners. They also have to screen and educate potential owners before giving them the puppies.

Care to share reasons that I haven't mentioned?

haopee, Apr 10, 2012
  2. haopee

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

Well you have mentioned the reasons not to get a dog, but what are the reasons to get a dog? I think knowing why to get a dog might be a little better for any potential dog owners.

dkramarczyk, Apr 10, 2012
  3. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Good point. I'll get on it. Rather than titling a thread reasons to get a dog, I'll name it "The Advantages of Owning a Dog".

This thread was posted for the reason that potential dog owners should be aware of their purpose of owning a dog. It is simply unfortunate that other people will decide to get one just for the said reasons mentioned above.

haopee, Apr 11, 2012
  4. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I think another "really" bad reason to own a dog is to make it as food. There are places where they just own or buy a dog for such reason. Some use dogs for matches or fighting.

zararina, Apr 11, 2012
  5. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think it's really unfortunate all the people who get the dog for their kids and then the kids can't actually take care of it, so it gets tossed aside. I've seen it happen so many times and either the dog is neglected or even gotten rid of, just because they don't care any more.

Jessi, Apr 12, 2012
  6. haopee

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

If we ever decided to get a dog for our children and they decide not to take care of it anymore then (1) the children will receive some sort of punishment for neglecting their responsibility and (2) we would only get the dog if we felt we wanted one as well for the reasons listed in the advantages post.

dkramarczyk, Apr 13, 2012
  7. haopee

kinser Well-Known Member

I have one to add: as an impulse purchase for a gift. So many dogs end up in shelters b/c people think they will make the most adorable gifts, and within a few weeks, reality sets in. Dogs are a huge responsibility and a considerable expense, and impulse buyers fail to recognize this until they have already gotten the dog.

kinser, Apr 15, 2012
  8. haopee

wahmed Active Member

I think that list is great and all the reasons are valid. You should never get a dog unless you are ready for such an huge responsibility and ready to care and love it like your own.

wahmed, Mar 23, 2015
  9. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

People often buy cute, tiny puppies and forget that puppies grow up. Then, they get bored with them and abandon them. It's extremely egoistic and cruel. We must remember that taking care of a dog is a huge responsibility.

claudine, Mar 26, 2015
  10. haopee

worldmachine Member

Besides the obvious reasons such as buying dogs as xmas presents and then losing interest when the novelty wears off, there are many bad reasons for getting a dog. People who buy certain types of dog that is thought of as menacing to give the owner a supposedly hard, menacing image. These sort of people typically give their dogs names such as ''killer'' or ''meathead.'' They have no love for the animal they are just concerned with the image it portrays. Another bad reason for owning a dog is to use them as a fashion accessory, such as those celebrities that carry their tiny dogs around in their handbags are an example of this.

Dogs are sensitive creatures who require love and attention, they are not to be used to enhance someone's image or be treated as some kind of novelty item. Dog's are able to feel a whole range of emotions, such as pride, shame, guilt, suspicion and shyness and so need to be treated accordingly.

worldmachine, Mar 27, 2015
  11. haopee

Trellum Well-Known Member

A very good post, actually the first dog we ever got my mom got it because I asked her to and also because of the protection part. Well, we ruined that dog completely! We didn't socialize him properly, so he became a real trouble maker. I truly regret having told my mom to get that dog, that dog ruined my life and condemned me to spend a really lonely childhood. We just weren't ready for a dog... we wanted one for the wrong reasons.

Trellum, Mar 29, 2015
  12. haopee

Trellum Well-Known Member

I agree, that is the worst reason ever... one should never give away a dog as a gift, specially if you are not sure if that person rally wants or can take care of a dog. I know many people don't think about it, because they just don't think about the well being of that poor dog...

Trellum, Mar 29, 2015
  13. haopee

Winterybella Well-Known Member

As a parent I know what it's like to crumble under the pressure of kids, but if I am being honest, up until now, things have worked out well for the dogs because I always stepped up to the plate and took responsibility for the care of my furry babies. There is but one dog that I feel guilty about his care if you exclude all from my childhood days. As it relates to those days I never asked for any and never cared for them in any meaningful way as I was just the last child who really did not have a say anything.

Winterybella, Mar 29, 2015
Ask a Question