Back from the Salon

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, Nov 13, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Just got back from the groomers. :confused:
    The indignity of such a close shave.:p
    I'm sure you will love it over summer Mishka.:)

[​IMG]

argon_0, Nov 13, 2012
  2. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

Aw, she looks very pretty and her hair seem so soft:D I'm sure it will be very comfortable for her to have short hair, she just needs to get used to it. I'm quite jelaous - my Homer always looks like he had been through putrid fever when he is shaved. Short hair doesn't suit him:confused:

claudine, Nov 13, 2012
  3. argon_0

It was a surprise to see how small Mishka really is. Her head now seems too large for her body.
    I weighed her and guessed one kilo/2lbs of fur was removed.:eek:
    The vet always tells me she is a bit overweight which I no longer believe.

She is going to be a joy to wash. We've decided to take her back every 6 months for a fur cut.
    The two women who do it are really lovely and care so much for the customer's dog. It's a recently established business in a very small rural town and they have such a reputation that you need to book one week in advance.:)

argon_0, Nov 13, 2012
  4. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

You dog has such a shiny, healthy coat!

My brother has his dog shaved from time to time. He is a chow mix. He has quite a lot of fur especially around his face. When they have it done, they leave the fur around his face. He ends up looking like an Eskimo.

I have had only one experience with a long hair dog. When I was in high school, we got a Collie. They really are high maintenance. You have to brush them constantly as they get mats in their fur. Their fur is very thick, too. You can pull out clump after clump and there is still more. I vowed never to have a long haired dog after that. That was a chore!

Melody, Nov 13, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  5. argon_0

I hope they don't laugh too much at your brothers dog.:D
    Mishka is quite a sight at the moment.

We've been feeding Mishka a half a can of cat food every night with her meal. We only give her the sardines or pilchards in the jelly with no additives only a small amount of salt.
    Maybe this is why her coat is shiny.

Yes high maintenance and fur everywhere.:rolleyes:
    I think now on it's short back and sides.

argon_0, Nov 13, 2012
  6. argon_0

One kilo?:eek: Really? It's so much hair, I can't imagine. Do you have any pictures taken right before grooming?:p

Reputation of a groomer is so important. When I took my Homer to a groomer for the first time I haven't done any research and the woman there was awful, very unkind. After that I learned that she has a really bad reputation and pet owners try to avoid her. I'll never make a mistake like this again.

claudine, Nov 14, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  7. argon_0

I weighed Mishka when we got home and she weighed 1 kilo less.:)
    I made mention of the wonderful groomers as we had some horror stories earlier about trusting them with our beloved pets.It is so important to find the kind and caring groomers.
    Before.:eek:
    [​IMG]

After.:D
    [​IMG]

argon_0, Nov 14, 2012
  8. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

Some days I think Misha sheds that much hair! It's amazing how such a small dog has some much fur even though she is a short haired breed.

Argon, my brother's dog is very fluffy. When he was a puppy, he was all fur. He looked more like a guinea pig than a dog.

Melody, Nov 15, 2012
  9. argon_0

My wife and I can't believe how small Mishka really is. Before we would say to her things like, move out of the way fluffy butt but now seeing her with a short coat, she doesn't seem to take up so much room.:confused:

argon_0, Nov 15, 2012
  10. argon_0

This is like dog's makeover:D She looks comletely different in the 'after' picture, so much smaller - but still very, very cute:D Short hair suits her:)

claudine, Nov 15, 2012
  11. argon_0

We think so too. It is to be regular visits from now on.
    Though she does a little bit of shivering now. Being inside mostly on cold days will help.

argon_0, Nov 15, 2012
  12. argon_0

Yes, this is a problem with short hair- it's cold:( This is why I let my Homer have longer hair during winter. Here, in middle Europe, winters are really cold. Maybe you could buy her something like this for walks:

[​IMG]

Of course much bigger:p My Homer has something like this, it's perfect for walks early in the morning when it's chilly. Although to be honest I must say that I don't know if climate in Tasmania is cold enough.

claudine, Nov 16, 2012
  13. argon_0

Middle Europe sounds a cold place in winter without the warming effects of the sea. Tasmania is totally surrounded by the sea and winters are not that harsh. Day time temperatures never get below zero and night time also rarely but can get down to minus 5 with a frost. I reckon that would sound rather balmy weather to you.

Those dog coats would certainly help on very cold days. It's a very smart looking one. Is that a pocket on top to put in doggie treats?

Since Mishka had her fur removed we've noticed she has become more puppy like and a little bit naughty. I found her asleep on our couch this morning and not hers. As soon as she saw me she got off and looked a little bit sheepish.:rolleyes:
    It's nice to have a new puppy even if it's really only her.

argon_0, Nov 17, 2012
  14. argon_0

This is so cute!:D I haven't noticed any changes in Homer's behaviour when he has shorter hair. Well, maybe he rolls in the grass more often, but nothing else.

And yes, minus 5 during winter sounds balmy:p We sometimes have -20 here, fortunately not very often.

claudine, Nov 17, 2012
  15. argon_0

haopee Well-Known Member

Run Mishka Run! Apparently, mom and dad doesn't appreciate the beauty of your long, high maintenance fur! Ugh, humans! :p Don't they understand that you're simply leaving your hairy tracks so you know what portions of the house you've already inspected.

Speaking of, I am also considering having Chooey and Buchi's hair cut again. I really don't like Shih Tzu long hair, especially when they live outside the house because they accumulate more dust and dirt than ones living inside the home. Unfortunately for me, they need to live outside because the owner doesn't allow dogs inside.

haopee, Nov 21, 2012
Ask a Question