Asian Dog Breeds

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by haopee, Apr 5, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Dog breeds can come from different countries and continents. For example, schnauzers and dachshunds come from Germany. The Boston Terrier is an all american breed.

Here are a list of dog breeds originating from Asia.

Japan
    Ainu or Hokkaido- Japan's oldest dog breed.
    Japanese Spitz
    Japanese Terriers
    Shiba Inu
    Kai or Lion Dog

China
    Shar-Pei
    Shih Tzu
    Chow Chow
    Chinese Fu Dog
    Pekingese
    Chinese Crested
    Chongqing

Tibet
    Lhasa Apso
    Tibetan Mastiff
    Tibetan Terrier
    Tibetan Spaniel

Korea
    Jindo Dog
    Japanese Chin- surprisingly a native of Korea brought to Japan

Thailand
    Thai Ridgeback

A more comprehensive list is located HERE.

haopee, Apr 5, 2012
  2. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

Philippines

LOL it should be Philippines dog. Aspin stands for Asong Pinoy. ;)
    Askal is for the stray dogs here Asong Kalye. :p

zararina, Apr 7, 2012
  3. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

There are two registered breeds from Thailand. One is the Thai Ridgeback. The other is the Bangkeaw. Here's how a Thai Ridgeback looks like:
    [​IMG]
    Can you see the ridge of hair running along its spine? That's why its called a ridgeback.

Here's a Bangkeaw:
    [​IMG]
    The bushy tail that curls over the back is a characteristic of the Bangkeaw.

Victor Leigh, Apr 8, 2012
  4. haopee

kinser Well-Known Member

You forgot the Akita from Japan. Beautiful dogs. There is also another breed I saw a lot of when I lived in Japan, but I don't know what it was called. It looked just like a Siberian Husky, but in much smaller size.

kinser, Apr 19, 2012
  5. haopee

There are three breeds which are often called huskies. One is the Siberian Husky.
    [​IMG]

Another is the Samoyed.
    [​IMG]

The biggest is the Alaskan Malamute.
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
  6. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I love Chow Chows, they're so fluffy, they look like big teddy bears. My neighbour has three Chow Chows, they often run and play in their garden, I like watching them. They're adorable:D

[​IMG]

claudine, Feb 27, 2013
  7. haopee

trishgl Well-Known Member

My first experience with Asian dog breeds is our chow. We read that chows are proud and don't readily come to you when you call them or perform the tricks you teach them. I found that they'll come to you when they need something from you like if they want to play. Otherwise they like sitting on a chair or laying on our sofa. They come when my hubby calls them but our chow performs tricks like clockwork if you have a treat.

trishgl, Apr 2, 2013
  8. haopee

This is adorable! I wish my Homer was like this. When he wants something from me, he barks. And when he doesn't want anything, he just follows me. He goes everywhere I go and he watches me like I was a TV. He just likes company I guess. It's cute but sometimes it's also a little annoying;)
    Another Asian breed that I like is Pekingese. They're so cute:

[​IMG]

claudine, Apr 2, 2013
  9. haopee

trishgl Well-Known Member

Our chow is like that with my husband. She follows him around the house when he comes home from work. Maybe she misses him more since he leaves the house for extended periods of time. I work from home so she sees me most of the day. I actually wanted a small dog like yours but my hubby thinks that small dogs are for girls and that we needed a bigger dog for "family protection". Although that's a joke since chacha lets everyone hug her.

trishgl, Apr 5, 2013
  10. haopee

Lol, my boyfriend also repeats that small dogs are for girls, he would like to have a Bernhardiner. But it really isn't true that Yorkies and others can't be manly, lol - my little Homer is very courageous and quite aggressive. He has absolutely no idea how small he is:p
    Does your husband walk her? I think that Homer follows me because he always hopes that I'll take him for a walk.

claudine, Apr 5, 2013
  11. haopee

I have met a Chow Chow once in my friend's house. It's a big dog and rather quiet. My friend told me that it was quite old already but it's not very friendly to strangers. I noticed that the few days I stayed in my friend's house, the Chow Chow just watched me from a distance. It roamed freely outside the house within the fence. No bark. No growl. Just a silent stare. Now and then.

Victor Leigh, Apr 11, 2013
Ask a Question