Arthritis and general join pain in dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Janet Ford, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Active Member

I was just in a recent conversation with someone about arthritis pain in dogs as one of our dogs who passed away at almost 17 years of age had dysplastic joints in both the rear and the front. I know many people who give glucosamine and perhaps go that extra mile to getting shots from their veterinarian. Dixie's joints were worse than what these things could handle, though both very good solutions.

What I found that worked for her is the human vitamin supplement, SamE. Just a standard over the counter pill that can be had (albeit expensive) at any local Walmart or Meijer, etc. She was depressed and struggling to get outside to pee so she'd just potty in the house. A very smart border collie who basically housetrained herself in a matter of days at only six weeks old when adopted from the county animal control and being the alpha of our pack who I bragged potty trained our puppies for us (I used to raise/show dogs) by rolling them like little bowling balls to the door if they dared pee on the floor. She traumatized them enough they would race for the door when they had to go so she wouldn't do that. We called her Grandma Dixie (she was spayed at a young age but still motherly). So to have her do this was heart wrenching. In just TWO DAYS of giving her the SamE supplement, she was happier (it also has serotonin for mood lifting) and was walking so much better. In a weeks time she actually had her tail wagging and just limping a bit. She may have been struggling but she was still getting joy from life and enjoying being part of our family. Eventually, she was lovingly euthanized and she now resides in our family memorial garden. We still bring her ice cream cones. But the SamE gave us about two more years with her that we wouldn't have had the heart to put her through if we felt she was suffering.

I'm no vet so not telling anyone to use this but sharing information as I sit missing our girl so that maybe you can consider it to the point of asking your veterinarian for his/her opinion to see if it may help other dogs and families as well.

Janet Ford, Oct 16, 2015
  2. Janet Ford

IcyBC Well-Known Member

SamE..is that vitamin E for human? My dog Capone is only over a year old and he has long way to go yet, but I am storing all the information and experiences people shared so I will apply them when the time come.

So sorry for the loss of your dog as I am sure you are still thinking of her some time.

IcyBC, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Janet Ford

Trellum Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, my dog is still not very old, but it's good to know what I can use when it gets older and if it starts suffering from arthritis. So far my girl is god, same for my mom's dog who is really old, almost 11 years. He seems as playful as usual, I hope he continues being this way later.

Trellum, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Janet Ford

KimmyMarkks Active Member

I know that arthritis is very common in dogs, especially in labs. My dog (although she was a lab mix) has it in her old age and my friend dog who is a pure bred has it as well.

We used to give our dog supplements to help with the arthritis pain. Eventually with that and her old age we were forced to put her down. She was so old and sickly it would have been torture to let her keep living. I will definitely say I think arthritis is one of the most common issues older dogs have. It's unfortunately not curable similar to when people get it.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 17, 2015
  5. Janet Ford

Corzhens Well-Known Member

This joint pains ailment is a dreaded disease for old dogs. I am praying that our dogs be spared from that because it is a pity to see them having difficulty in walking. Our first dog was diagnosed of severe arthritis at age 5. I couldn't believe it so I asked for a second opinion and a third. On the 4th opinion, that vet diagnosed our dog of distemper, the reason why she had difficulty walking and not arthritis. Fortunately, our dog got well. By the way, she was our first dog we named jedi.

Corzhens, Mar 6, 2016
Ask a Question