Are waterless shampoos good for your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

My dog is one of those problem dogs when it comes to bath time. As I'm working through her different problems, I've tried to select my battles. I found a waterless shampoo and have been using this for awhile now. She seems to get clean. She's not itchy afterwards.

I'm using Furminator, which has a pleasant coconut scent. There are other brands, too. I haven't tried any of those, though.

I wonder if this is a good way to bath a dog. Are waterless shampoos effective? Do they leave behind a residue that can bother the dog later? I worry that I might be setting her up for skin problems somewhere down the road.

Does anyone else use a waterless shampoo?

Melody, Jun 22, 2012
  2. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think they're okay. I've never had any problems with them. I don't think they should completely replace baths, but to use in between, I see no reason not to use them. I've never noticed an effect on the skin or a funky residue either.

Jessi, Jun 23, 2012
  3. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

I agree with Jessi, waterless shampoos are great between baths. So instead of your dog having to be bathed traditionally as often you can break the baths up with a dose of waterless shampoo. These products are a great idea for dogs like yours Melody, that resist traditional baths. :) I'd also ask your local vet about them next time you have an appointment as they will probably know more about the possible side effects ect..

tajnz, Jun 23, 2012
  4. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have used those so-called waterless shampoos but only as a temporary measure. The ones I bought are more like powder and I am actually giving my dog a powder bath. It does help to get rid of some of the smell.

Victor Leigh, Jun 23, 2012
  5. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Never tried that waterless shampoo yet as we can easily bath our dogs normally. I think it was just okay to use such product temporary or on occasion but still bath with water is better for me.

zararina, Jun 23, 2012
Ask a Question