Are walnuts bad for dogs?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, May 20, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that walnuts are bad for dogs. Does anyone know if that is true?

The reason I ask is I saw a commercial this evening for a new kitty litter that's made from shredded walnuts. They are touting it as natural.

I know that many dogs like to go litter box surfing. My Lab was terrible! Whenever we'd visit my sister, she had to shut the door to the room with the litter box, otherwise, my Lab would come walking out with the grey stuff on her nose.

If walnuts are bad for dogs, could this kitty litter be a danger to them? Unfortunately, I forgot to note the brand name.

Melody, May 20, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I was very interested in this because I often throw a nut or two to Mishka. I did find this.
    Black Walnuts

[​IMG]

Black walnuts contains a toxin called juglone which can cause a vascular disease in horses known as laminitis, but doesn't appear to cause problems in dogs. Eating black walnuts can cause gastric intestinal upset or an obstruction.

In addition, moldy black walnuts can contain tremorgenic mycotoxins which can cause seizures or neurological symptoms.

English Walnuts

[​IMG]

English walnuts can cause gastric intestinal upset (tummy ache) or even an obstruction in your dog's body. Like black and Japanese walnuts, moldy English walnuts can contain tremorgenic mycotoxins (toxic chemical products produced by fungi) which can cause seizures or neurological symptoms.
    http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Nut-Dangers-to-Dogs.aspx

argon_0, May 20, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Walnuts are not common here but still nice to know more details about it.
    Being aware helps us know what are safe and not safe for our dogs if ever we will have such kind of food to share.

zararina, May 21, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

It's by Blue (Blue Buffalo is the name you might associate with pet food, but they have kitty litter, too). It's made of the shells, as far as I know, and no, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who has dogs in the house. It's not necessarily poisonous to them and in small quantities, is probably pretty harmless, but I wouldn't want to make them sick. :(

Jessi, May 21, 2012
  5. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I had no idea that walnuts are bad for dogs! We have three big walnut trees in our garden and my whole family eat lots and lots of walnuts...which means that Homer gets some of them from time to time too. Fortunately, he isn't a big fan of them. Anyway, I'm very glad that I found this thread.

claudine, Jul 6, 2013
Ask a Question